HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Murg

What do you call

What do you call the titles of articles on the front page of a newspaper that aren't the big bold headline article? I'm having a brain blip and do not want to say headline.

Ilene

Re: What do you call

The titles of articles in newspapers are headlines, no matter what the size or prominence of the article. The biggest page-one headline is sometimes called the banner, though that term is also used for the name of the paper and all its info at the top of the page. If you mean the stuff underneath the headline that provides a tiny bit more info on the story, those are subheads.

Murg

I was looking for a word that would denote the headline of a smaller front page article than the headline of the lead story. If they're all called headlines I'll re-do that paragraph. Thanks, Ilene.

Keith Postler

They're still called headlines. If a story has a smaller line of text beneath the main headline that is not part of the article content, then it's called a subhead.

--Keith

Murg

Thank you, Keith and Ilene.

Jack Hinks

The big bold headline, if it goes all the way across the top, is a banner or banner headline.

-- JH

Mike Fulton

If there is a headline of large type size over a another line of text of smaller type size which is related to the headline and explains the article, the smaller line of text is called a subheadline, or subhead.

Example: (24 point text) PRESCRIPTION EYE DROPS OFF SHELF!

(12 point text) Over-the-counter medication expected soon

I believe that this is universal terminology in the newspaper and magazine publishing industry, as well as in advertising. At least it was when I studied advertising design.

Kaz

Hi Murg,
    Would they possibly be subtitles? Example: "Class, please read the artical subtitled Mountain Forests under the headline, Keeping Our Forests Safe, in the new issue of Greening the World magazine.

Murg

I think I was reaching for the not-quite-there. I am writing a short short story and the protag picks up the newspaper, skims the headline (big bold one across top of paper) and a smaller headline of lesser article catches her eyes. I did not want to use the word headline twice, and I'm not convinced general reading public knows they are all headlines, so was trying to find a substitute word.

I positively despise getting myself into these things by trying to find a shortcut to writing better. Thank you all.

fred

The article in the bottom right corner of the front page caught his attention. He was paralysed by the title of the article in the middle of page one.