HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Kayla

Question about writing

It has been some time since I have last posted on this site. When writing fiction and the story is being told as if it has already happened, is it okay to write the story in past tense?

Brady Boyd

Re: Question about writing

Isn't that what past tense is? Keyword: PAST

Maybe I don't understand your question.

Brady Boyd

Kayla

My question is it okay to write in past tense when the entire novel is being spoken after its already happened.

Brady Boyd

George Washington gazed across the shimmer of the Delaware River.

The novel is being spoken? I'm unsure what you mean. Are you referring to dialogue in the book? No matter when the events take place, you have the freedom to choose tense.

George Washington gazes across the shimmer of the Delaware River.

Brady Boyd

Kayla

I don't mean spoken. I mean when the novel is written is okay to write in past tense? I have heard from many writers that you shouldn't write in past tense

Lisa Werth

(Back out of the thread - Quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Kayla

All I came here is for help that is all.

Brady Boyd

Yeah, you should never write in past tense.

Brady Boyd

Mike

I will try to help you out. You should write the story as if it is occurring otherwise it is history. Take the events as they happened and begin with the first event you wish to use and come forward so that the story appears to be unfolding in your book. Historical fiction begins with a historical event and the story is build around that event with fictional characters and events to make the story appear as if it is unfolding. I hope this is of some help. I am not an experienced writer but have just finished reading a biography and a historical novel about the same events and suggest that is the way I would do it were I to desire to write about an event that has already occurred.

Kayla

It's hard for me to write in present tense even though the events have already happened in the story...