HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Up in smoke

Lisa J. Werth

Re: Up in smoke

I remember reading how one of the big investors in the lumber company also had investments in Chicago and suffered major losses in both places. I would be very surprised at this point if I came across insurance settlements.

A lot of these people were poor immigrants just off the boats.

Having lived in both New England and Wisconsin, and toured historical places in both areas, I can say color choices and design aren't quite the same. The people are from different cultures and countries.

Ron Potvin

The insurance maps were not made for settlement purposes, but were done in the event of a fire. They were usually commissioned by insurance companies before fires so that they would be able to verify potential claims and assess risks when writing ploicies. But it's a moot point. I did some checking, and it looks like the ealiest Sanborn map of Wisconsin is 1884, so I guess you're out of luck.

I confess that I don't know much about mid-west history and architecture, but the same logic should apply. Look for historic preservation organizations in that area. They may have conducted similar studies. Or just look for books on mid-western architecture.

Ron

Lisa J. Werth

My guess is Peshtigo was a major reason why fire insurance was created in Wisconsin.