HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lisa J. Werth

A writing question about ice cream

I'm putting together notes for a WIP involving a real restaurant chain in Wisconsin & Illinois that run independent specials each location every day. The characters (sisters) really love the restaurant/ice cream Ėbut take turns not caring for the featured ice cream that day. As they keep going down the interstate on flavor they agree on, their stories are told, etc.

Would it be safer to make up flavors, given itís a real restaurant? Or change the chainís name? The problem is people in Wisconsin and Northern Illinois Ė may know what Iím talking about in a second even if I did fictionalize them. Plus I hear plans/hopes are that the chain will be national in a few ears. (A happy thing)

This WIP is Ĺ of a bigger project (probably the second half) Ė Canít get Sisterís Weekend into one story and not worry about word count.

Lisa J. Werth

Re: A writing question about ice cream

D@#mn! they looked correct a minute ago.

specials AT each location every day.

down the interstate on A QUEST FOR A flavor they CAN agree.

BTW My two favorites are vanilla carmel cashew and very berry.

Lisa J. Werth

ears - years. Time to unglue the eyes from a computer screen fo r a few hours.

I have visions of the whole thing turning into like a mini-Oprah Winfrey beef lawsuit - that's how she met Dr. Phil.

Mary M.

Since you feel the Wisconsin/Illinois readers will recognize the restaurant chain anyway, why not fictionalize the name of the restaurant as well as the ice cream flavors? That way you'll be safe, safe, safe.

Mary M.

Wow! I posted my first response even before I read your Oprah-beef-Dr.Phil comment.

Think we're on a mental telepathy link?!

Eva S

I would make it a fictional chain and create your own flavors. Then you have the freedom to do whatever you wish. There's always room for another ice cream!

Eva S

PS

With a fictional, famous, rival ice cream chain, you could, if you wish, make comparisions with the well-known chain. This gives you the freedom to have "your" ice cream be whatever you want, but also acknowledge the well-known brand. Just a thought.

Goliardeys

Re: PS

My opinion is that unless you are going to defame this restaurant ("After half a bowl of Banana Fiasco, I was rushed into hospital with gastric poisoning") you should stick to the real flavours. Writers don't hesitate to name Coca-Cola or Macdonalds, do they?

Gary Kessler

Re: PS

Writers should hesitate to name "Macdonalds," though, because the trademarked name is "McDonalds," and you can successfully be sued for not spelling it as trademarked. :-)

Suggest you wouldn't want to mix and match here. If you wanted your own wild flavors, you'd want your own restaurant name. Otherwise, you'd be too close to defamation if the real restaurant didn't like your take on them. No reason you couldn't describe it so that the parallel reference to the real restaurant was clear, however. You'd be pretty well within the bounds of protection on that.

Lisa J. Werth

Scooping up some thanks

I'll fictionalize both the flavors and store and put in a slight variation to what the chain does. On any given day they sell chocolate and vanilla custard, feature a funky flavor and some sort of flavored ice.

My ssisters literally started out in one town shopping and didn't care for the flavor there that day and worked there way up the interstate about 60 miles.

(Got thinking about how Cheers became a series of bars in Beantown after the show became a hit.)