HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Love Triangles

Lindi

Love Triangles

I'm working on a character's background, and she was caught in a love triangle and ended up pregnant and had to marry the guy she didn't love as much. Then the guy she really loved died, resulting in painful emotional infidelity. Thing is, this rings familiar somehow. Am I subconsciously borrowing from a previously done story?

Also, has anyone on this forum ever been caught in a love triangle? Care to share your memories and any thoughts on writing about the subject? Me, I once dated twin brothers. The only way I could tell them apart was because one had long hair and the other had short hair. One day, my boyfriend cut his hair. I'll never know, but sometimes I suspected I might have been the subject of some dirty double dealing. Anyone else have any memories they'd care to share?

Nice to be talking writing again ~ Lindi

M T

Re: Love Triangles

Well *I* have never been in a love triangle (she announces grandly), but my friend Bev dated two guys, both named Dave (this goes back to when we were seventeen or so). One night Bev arrived at a party with Dave #1, and was sitting on the couch holding his hand, when Dave #2 showed up unexpectedly. Flopping down beside Bev, he held her other hand while she sat there frozen lol. It took about 10 minutes for the two guys to notice that Bev was being held by both of them (must have been the *juice* lol). Strangely, they both continued to see her, each believing the other Dave had been tossed.

Lindi

I should add, I didn't "date twin brothers" !! I dated one of them, LoL!

Lois

Love triangles? Heck, I had enough trouble with geometry as it was. Lois

Franny T

I was in what I guess you'd call a love triangle when I was in college. The two guys were best friends until I cluelessly came between them. Well, maybe I wasn't totally clueless, but I got involved with one first, and when he went abroad for a semester I got involved with the second one, but nevertheless carried through on plans to visit #1 during January term, which didn't make #2 very happy. I got back together with #2 in the spring semester, then #1 showed up back at school and we had some extremely ugly scenes. Basically, I had no idea how much I'd come to mean to #1, but I just didn't want to/couldn't continue the relationship, especially after I'd seen how angry he could get. I stayed with #2 for a couple of years, but then that fell apart, too.

That was about 27 years ago (!!!) and now, as a mid-forties mother of three married for over 21 years, it kind of cracks me up to think of those two guys warring over me. But it was scary and painful at the time. And the thing I always felt worst about was that the two of them were such good friends until I came along. (I should add that I was hardly a femme fatale.)

Lindi

Isn't it funny how it take us over 20 years to be able to talk about this stuff frankly? I felt so embarrassed and sad for years, I couldn't even acknowledge it, but now I look back and think, "Wow, that was pretty amazing!" That's maturity I guess!

Mary M.

I have seen "the love triangle" story line is so many movies, including the "I married him to give my child a father" aspect.

However, the theme continues to be a popular one.

Lindi

That's the thing -- I see it a lot in books and movies, but rarely in real life.

Mary M.

For Lindi

I'm probably older than you and can say for certain I know of at least three real life "love triangle" relationships, one I learned of just last year -- and was shocked to my core.

I have decided these triangles exist everywhere, even in our churches!, and for the most part are hush-hushed.