HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Terri Dunham

Re: Passive Voice but a BTW

Thank you. I think I'm getting it now. (just needed to change that lightbulb over my head)

I won't change the sentence because the way it is written actually works better for the scene. Although I hadn't thought about the Exorcist thing...pretty funny.

Thanks again and again and again

Lindi

Re: Passive Voice but a BTW

Your lightbulb is just fine, LoL! Passive/active is about the toughest thing to learn in writing!

Terri Dunham

no kidding!

And I thought the "show dont tell" was tough!!
    (still screw that up from time to time...but usually on the first draft)

Mike Fulton

Intransitive Verbs Have NO Voice

"she cried out"
    "she yelped"
    "she moaned"
    "she shrieked"

These are neither active nor passive. Being intransitive verbs (i.e., no action passes from a doer to a receiver), they have NO VOICE as they appear here.

However, they may be made transitive by providing them with something known as a cognate object.

Typically cognate objects appear as the noun form of intransitive verbs:
    She cried a cry.
    She yelped a yelp.
    She dreamed a dream.
    She sang a song.
    She danced a dance.

Granny

Re: Intransitive Verbs Have NO Voice

Mike,

Since the vast majority of what people are labelling passive voice are actually

progressive tenses
    perfect tenses
    odd sentence forms
    simple being verbs/linking verbs

which suggests that most people have *no* idea what passive voice means, at all -- the odds that those same folks know the difference between transitive and intransitive verbs is slim. So I tried to address all the things that are normally mislabelled as passive voice since the original question boiled down to "what is wrong with my writing and how can I fix it."

Anyway, after a couple years of crusading to educate writers on what passive voice means, I now give up and just try to answer the question in the question and to use "non-grammar" words.
    But -- heck -- if you can get folks to understand the difference between transitive and intransitive, I tip my hat to you.

Gran

Terri Dunham

Re: Intransitive Verbs Have NO Voice

no more differences please! my head is about to explode! lol