HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    TLE

Back from Iowa City...

Just thought I'd post about my weekend writing workshop at the Iowa Summer Writing festival. I was there for the weekend; they have week long and weekend seminars for four weeks each summer. There were attendees from as far away as New Jersey, Colorado, Kentucky. About 300 last weekend.

Everything was good and nothing was bad. The campus was beautiful, the downtown adequately filled with quaint local eateries, and green space. The workshop was good, there just wasn't enough of it. I felt for the time investment and cost I'd prefer to be bombarded with information, main sessions, workshops etc. It was very relaxing instead.

Basically there were four two hour sessions with a group of 12 and one instructor. We worked 10-12, took a two hour lunch, then 2-4. I wanted more.

My instructor was funny, insightful and responsive to our needs. We wrote in class and critiqued each other and it was a good experience. I was impressed with others, but not so impressed that I gave up hope on my own talents.

Not sure I'd go again, for the $210 it cost, but then again, I was alone, in a dorm room (additional $32 per night) with no t.v. or telephone. This is heaven for a mother of four, so in that sense, it was a success.

Toni

Eva S

Re: Back from Iowa City...

Toni,

I'm so glad you had such a good experience! In a way, I think it's good that it left you wanting more -- if it had been too intense, you might have felt overwhelmed. This way, it whets your appetite!

$210 is excellent for a weekend!

Did you meet people with whom you want to keep in touch and continue exchanging work?

Thanks for telling us about it!

Mary M.

Hey, the cost of a solo getaway is priceless!! I'm glad you were able to do it. I also admire your doing the dorm thing; would have been a problem for me.

Lindi

The only reason I don't do conferences is the price, but I sure envy you, Toni! Glad you had a good time. Someday I'm gonna win the Lotto and do a Hawaiian writer's conference. I will I will I will!

Bob Kellogg

Thanks for the report, Toni. I've heard good things about that conference, but very indirectly, so it's good to get a personal view.

Bob K.

TLE

I did meet people I'd like to stay in touch with, but we didn't share e-mail addresses, darn it.

Here is one piece of advice the instructor gave which I hadn't already heard in a dozen books on writing: take out all the instances where your protagonist smiles and laughs. He says the novice ms tend to use this as an easy way out. Replace it with an action of some sort that shows how the char feels.

toni's tip for the day :-)