HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Excuse me?

Glen T. Brock

Excuse me?

Hi folks,

My wife pointed out something she saw on CNN today. Somewhere in the U.S.A. there was a court ruling against a church wanting to use 'holy water' in baptisms. The ruling stated that the church may not use 'holy water' because of the ecological damage it could do to the wetland. 'Holy water' would poison the fish!

Anybody else hear about this one?

Glen T. Brock

Kane X. Faucher

Re: Excuse me?

No, but I love it!! This is a note to put up on my writing board. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I always suspected something secretly poisonous about certain religions...

Lisa J. Werth

OMG, the confession I'm going to have to go through

Okay,
    So a lot of joke ideas are coming to mind.

Danielle, any thoughts?

Patricia Grant

Re: OMG, the confession I'm going to have to go through

Maybe they're afraid the fish are spawn of Satan and the holy water will smite them...

Pamela Taylor

Maybe they chlorinate the holy water to keep it from growing bacteria in the cistern?

Pamela

danielle

Maybe they're afraid holy water might burn the hell out of the fish.

I believe there is nothing different about holy water from your tap other than it was blessed. One exception that comes to mind is if the water comes from the spring water in Lourdes, France, where Mary appeared. My guess is there's no chemicals in that whatsoever.

Patricia Grant

Re: Just what IS holy water?

Well, I don't know if things have changed since I was young, or if things are done differently in various faiths, but I grew up Catholic, and we asked about this in Sunday school one time. We were told that some churches use good old tap water and others used distilled water, but it boils down to being just plain ol' water... UNTIL the Priest (or minister or whatever) says a blessing over it. The blessing is what makes it holy. There aren't any chemicals in it, other than what you might already find in the tap water you drink...

Lisa Werth

Sacramental wines.

I learned in the Protestant church I attend they are supposed to be careful about what happens to the leftover after the service. (It''s fun teasing the Altar guild.)

Lois

Re: Sacramental wines.

My 2 cents -- Holy Water is regular tap water that's been blessed by a priest.

In the church (Catholic -- where I grew up, too), there's usually a stainless steel "drum" by the confessional where one can fill a bottle with holy water to bring home. Fountain style.

When one of my friends was a kid, the church was closer to the ball field than his apartment was. So after a hot, tiring game, he'd drag himself to the church, and gulp down the holy water. Never hurt him so I doubt it would pollute the fish.

Lois

Lisa Werth

Lois

Was the name of his team the sharks?