HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lindi Hobbs

OT: The search for the perfect snake

Hi folks,

Well, a lady on our boas-and-pythons list felt a tug at her heart upon hearing about the loss of Merlin, the Ball Python. She contacted me and offered my son two lovely Ghost Cornsnakes, just a year old now and ready for adoption.

We did a little research on snakes before deciding. The local pet store has a couple of Burmese Pythons available. Burmese Pythons grow to 20 feet and 150 pounds, sometimes more, and they kill people. Okay, no BP's for us.

There were other tropical constrictors too, Rainbow Pythons and a nice Colombian Red Tail, but the thing is, pythons and boas bite, hide a lot, and most of them tend to grow to astronomical proportions, even Red Tails.

My son really doesn't want a snappish snake that will grow the size of Rhode Island. He just wants a nice, gentle, easy to get along with snake. Cornsnakes are just such reptiles. You can see some pics at
    http://www.knight-weaver.com/cornmorphs/cornmorphs.htm .

They are sweet animals that don't bite and only grow to three or four, skinny feet, not heavy, bone-crushing feet. That's much more the sort of family-friendly snake we want. It's still a constrictor, but doesn't need the heavy, tropical atmosphere maintained, so they're easier to take care of.

So we've taken our kind online friend up on her offer and will soon have two new Ghost Cornsnakes arriving via overnight mail! Wish us well, and I'll keep you posted. This is pretty exciting!

Thanks for letting me share ~ Lindi

Ames

Re: OT: The search for the perfect snake

Oh, Lindi, they are *beatiful*!!!! :-) I'm so excited for you and your son. Glad you have connections and that you've been mindful about choosing the right species for your situation. You nearly have *me* sold on getting a cornsnake...lol!

Thanks for posting this. I was thinking of your son while I was mowing the lawn this afternoon, and hoping for good news :-)

Ames

M T

Beautiful snakes! It's probably good as well that there are two, so they can keep each other company. Good Luck with them! :0)

Brady Boyd

The perfect snake is one marinated, grilled and slathered in sauteed onions.

Brady Boyd

Lindi Hobbs

True, Brady, but a lot of snakes might say the same of YOU ) ~ Lindi

Brady Boyd

Oh no, I'm tasteless.

Ha ha.

Brady Boyd

Patricia Grant

Oh! This is a topic near and dear to my heart. I LOVE snakes! I don't have one of my own because I do have 3 cats and either they'd go after a small snake, or a large one might go after them. I would love to have a Burmese Python, actually. Constrictors only constrict if hungry or if agitated and feeling the need to defend themselves. I have handled many large snakes (a Burmese Python being one) and have had no problems. Actually, they can give a wonderful neck and shoulder massage! ;-)

And Lindi, yes, those are beautiful snakes! Thanks for sharing with us.

Patricia Schwitzer

I hate snakes, all kinds of snakes, human and inhuman. They slither and hiss. Yuk. Give me a handbag and a matching pair of boots any day.

M T

My earliest snake memory: I was about four years old, it was a sunny Sunday afternoon and my family had just arrived at the home of some family friends. My sisters and I wore our best Sunday dresses, little frilly ankle socks and shiny black shoes. When we all filed into the back yard, we saw the two boys who lived there, grinning mischeviously as they stood in front of a basin filled with water. They called us over, snickering as my sisters and I gathered around the basin, all innocent in our starched dresses -- the perfect targets for a boyish prank. The boys stepped away from the basin, and we saw what was inside, about five snakes (the swimming kind, I'm not sure what they're called), were writhing around in the murky water. Just as the boys had hoped, my sisters shrieked and ran away, but I cried "Oh Look! Snakes!" and plunged both hands in the water. The boys were so impressed, they arranged all five dripping snakes around my neck and ushered me into the house to show the adults. Of course the adults screamed too, but I was in heaven.

P.S. Brady that was a very bad thing to say. For shame! ;0)

Brady Boyd

MT, bad people say bad things.

Bwah hah hah hah.

Brady Boyd