HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lisa Werth

Elitist School For Writing?

Does anyone know the name of some known pricey/pretentious well known college or university, etc. where someone rich would send their kid to study writing?

Mike Fulton

Re: Elitist School For Writing?

Iowa State University / Iowa Writer's Workshop. Hotstuff school. Get a degree in writing from that place and you're in the money for teaching and publishers will look at your work if you've published in one of the literary mags.

It's not an elitist school. It has produced many excellent and successful writers.

There's another one in Massachusetts. Can't think of it now.

Jordie

It's the University of Iowa.

The Stanford Writing Program is also very prestigious. Hard to get into. Not a degree program, but the best.

Pamela Taylor

There are plenty of elitist schools that teach writing as a subject, does it have to be a school that focuses on writing?

The only one I can think of to do with writing besides Iowa is Skidmore, in NY, -- famous for their emphasis on creative arts.

Pamela

Kane Faucher

Up here in the snowy drawl of Canada, University of British Columbia sports a writing degree program for all those dreck-grinding penny-dreadful types who want to polish up on all their parlour circuit coquetry among the literati bourgeoisie. I've never known a "great" writer to come out of this program, but to me greatness is usually in inverse proportion to sales. Selah.

Mary M.

The one in Massachusetts may be MIT, but it's more technology-laden.

Two more almost-Ivy League campuses are Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois and Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, New York; both have impressive writing programs.

mike fulton

Oooops! I stand corrected: University of Iowa.

There's always Exeter.

Pamela Taylor

Hey Mary, how about Brandeis? Does it have a good writing program? They strike me as artsy.

Of course, Simmons is also known for its communications programs, but I think of that more as journalism/broadcasting than creative writing.

Pamela

Murg

In these parts it's the University of Mississippi in Oxford, Mississippi, home of William Faulkner and many, many current authors. (John Grisham ring a bell?)

mike fulton

Farleigh Dickinson is semi-elitist. Exeter is blueblood. Wellesley is elitist (though I don't know if their writing program is considered elitist).

I knew a snotty Professor who graduated from Purdue and another upper class twit PhD. who graduated from the College of Wooster.

Then there's Edmundson College which is so elitist that it wont tell anyone where it is, let alone allow anyone in. The college ran an ad in Writers and Poets Magazine awhile ago and gave no location!