HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 'Heck'

ResoluteWriter

Re: Glen

Here in the northwoods of Wisconsin, “heck” is used in place of “hell” by those who would rather not cuss. For instance, if Homer Simpson lived here, he would probably say, “What in the hell did you do that for, Bart?” While his neighbor, Ned Flanders, would most likely say, “Now, what in the heck did you do that for, Bart?”

ResoluteWriter

Elizabeth

Re: Glen

Thanks Lindi, Lois and RW - I am feeling safer about my use of the h... word!

Bob Kellogg

Back in prehistory

people weren't allowed to swear. That meant hell and damn, to say nothing of those great old Anglo-Saxon words that fall trippingly off the tongues of little folk these days. In WWII I believe that was still prevalent. People didn't swear in films and real men certainly didn't swear when there were ladies present.

Another tip. Back in the late Seventies when i first moved to San Diego a couple from New Zealand were here. He was on a sabbatical and marveled one time when I used the word "critters." He had never in his life actually heard anyone say that. So if you want another bit of authenticity, have your character use that word instead of "creatures."

Loved your regard for the Governor, danielle.

Bob K.

Brady Boyd

Re: Back in prehistory

Sounds good to me, dagnabbit.

Brady Boyd from Missouri, USA

Bob Kellogg

Me, too, Brady.

Carthage. MO. After most of my further life elsewhere, I went to school in St Louis. My motto is:

Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.

That's us!

Bob K.

Brady Boyd

Re: Me, too, Brady.

Bob, I'm on the Jesse James side of the state--Independence, to be exact.

Brady Boyd

Elizabeth

Re: Me, too, Brady.

Thanks guys.