HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 'Heck'

Elizabeth

'Heck'

I have had a lot of kind help with US background detail for my WIP especially from Bob, Gary and Glen,and I was wondering whether I could ask one more question.

In my novel my newspaper man, Jack, who is living in London during the Blitz, uses the word 'heck' from time to time, as in: 'Heck, you wouldn't want anyone to know that kind of thing about you'.

Does this use of heck have an authentic ring about it? My Oxford and Chambers dictionaries list the word as a mild exclamation of surprise (and a euphemism for hell). But I just wanted to check that the word was used in a similar way by Americans.

As always - many thanks!

Mary M.

Re: 'Heck'

It was a common exclamation during the 30s-80s in the states. When my brother was pre-teen, he used "heck" whenever he wanted to sound tough!!!

Elizabeth

Mary

Thank you!

Pamela Taylor

Re: Mary

Heck, I still use it!

Pamela

danielle

heck - moving OT

Heck, I always was big on that word until I moved to Texas 20 years ago. I now say Hell's Bells. It has a nice ring, sort of like when I get mad and say "I don't care if it hare-lips the governor..."

Elizabeth

Re: heck - moving OT

Thanks, ladies!

Glen T. Brock

Re: heck - moving OT

Elizabeth,

If your character says 'heck' he probably will say 'shucks' too. Gary Cooper and Randolph Scott were never wrong.

Glen T. Brock

Elizabeth

Glen

LOL!

Lindi Hobbs

Re: Glen

I tend to use "heck" as a precurser to expressions with a "why not?" flavor. Example: "Heck, why not do it now?" Or "Heck, let's take the whole batch." But I don't use it as a soft swear. I usually say "damn" as my fave cuss word. Such as, "That damn cat!" (Also the name of a Disney movie.)

Lois

Re: Glen

Heck is a great word. I often say, "Who in the heck do you think you are?" Picked it up in grade school, and it's stayed with me. It was used a lot back in the 40s if my parents and grandparents were any indication. Lois