HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: $107 per word?

Tom

Re: Messrs Brock and Johnson

Debra, I do not intend to belabor the issue, as here is not the place to do so, however, foreclosure is an equitable proceeding, not a legal proceeding and one who prevails on the equities in a foreclosure will surely prevail in the case. You might review MCCollem v. Chicnese, District Court of Appeals State of Florida, Fourth District July, 2002 Term if you doubt what I am saying.

Tom

Thomas H. Johnson

Re: Messrs Brock and Johnson

I am a criminal defense lawyer and a Plaintiff's lawyer. I know very little about bankruptcy or real estate transactions. But, I know there are attorneys out there who may be able to help you.

As you see from the posts here, many people want to help you if possible. If you are truly in a bind, I would suggest doing a search on a legal search engine such as lawyers.com, martindale.com, attorneylocate.com or atla.org

Thomas H. Johnson

Roy Abrahams

To Thomas Johnson

I can honestly say I did not expect the outpouring of such solid advice from so many persons with the law in their background. For all that, I am most grateful.

All my available funds have already been expended on an attorney who should have been avoided in the first place. As for filing bankruptcy, that involves a retainer of $5000; to have an attorney serve as mediator during the proceedings would be lower....$4000. Neither figure is at my disposal.

With all respect for your suggestion that I obtain legal representation, I cannot see such being done by one who, at this point, is so close to being indigent.

Should any of you wish to view the document I plan to take into court or simply correspond outside writers.net, please email me at royelara@oregontrail.net

Again, my sincerest thanks to all who have shown concern for my situation.

Roy

Bly Oxford

Re: To Thomas Johnson

Roy,
    How can we not be concerned about one of our own--a very important one of our own. I do wish I could help, but I'm totally ignorant on any part of the legal field. If this is any help, let me add my good wishes to those of the others.
    Bly

Roy Abrahams

Dearest Bly:

There are recorded instances where good wishes have had more power than money or guns. Yours surely fit in there with the others. My hope is that mine and Uldene's for you have an equal value in the near future. Uldene seconds this motion so neither of us have much to worry about.

Warm thanks, Bly.............Roy

M T

Roy, I sure hope this works out in your favour. Wow, what an awful thing to happen to anyone, let alone a kind person like yourself. I hope for you and your family (including cats) all the best, I'll be sending all of you my best wishes for a happy conclusion.

P.S. What about looking into getting a legal aid lawyer?

Glen T. Brock

Re: Try again Roy!

Roy,

The amounts you state for legal services are way too high. Try another lawyer. The most important thing is to get this case continued so you will have time to devise a strategy. If you have any viable income you may qualify for a chapter ll bankruptcy. In this type of settlement the court administers the payment to your creditors, placing a stay on any possible foreclosures. Roy, I'm not a lawyer but I think you should explore this along with any other options. Most importantly, do it now! Time is of the essence.

Good luck!

Glen T. Brock

Elizabeth

No practical advice at all - but I am truly shocked to hear about your legal nightmare and will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Robert Stephenson

Ah, here is not the place to discuss any legal issues that are to be presented in court. I'm no Lawyer and those lawyers who have commented have been very wise.

Open forums are not areas for legal discussions.

Robert

I wish you well Roy, but you might need a tad more than my prayers, mate.

Debra

one opinion

I'm familiar mostly with California state law and Federal bankrutpcy law, having done trial work and appellate (BAP) work for a federal bankruptcy judge in California. Possibly Oregon law is different.

Anyway, in my experience no matter how inequitable the situation seemed, if someone had a valid trust deed they had a right to foreclose against the homeowner. I've seen people get sick or lose their jobs and get foreclosed on. I've seen people foreclose on their parents' home. What the judges I've worked with have done is to look at the paperwork and decide on that basis whether the trust deed holder has a legal right to the property. No matter who seeems to prevail on the equities.

Anyway, that's just my opinion and I've emailed Roy. Hopefully some of you other lawyers can offer him advice too.