HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thomas H Johnson

Really Writing is TOUGH

It has been some time since I posted in this forum. The practice of law, raising three children (have I updated my bio on this subject?)and the psychological aspects of determining if I am good enough to write a novel worthy of publishing have befuddled my life. I post to this forum seeking knowledge and feedback regarding my epiphany.

I began writing a novel three years ago and thought it was wonderful. Three years later I am rewriting the whole thing. The experiences of actually learning the Craft during that period of time have made me understand my previous work was really an amateur's draft.

I have found there are two aspects of writing. The first is the baby steps of awakening your desire to write and the ability to begin your storyforming. I find it easy to brainstorm and bring forth ideas of a plot, characters and the goal at the end of the story, but the next step is more difficult and takes actual work.

The second is a higher concept, much like stepping up to the plate in the major leagues. This step is called Writing. Writing is the actual ability to put your Story in word form on a piece of paper and do it WELL. One can write for hobby or fun, but I believe in order to write for publication, one must master the Craft of Writing.

I find writing (with the little "w") is easy and fun. I find Writing (with the big "W") is quite different. This Writing is hard. It takes time, dedication, perserverence and commitment. I believe this epiphany brings me to a level closer to publishing once my novel is completed.

Your thoughts and comments are encouraged and appreciated.

Thomas H. Johnson

linton lewis

Re: Really Writing is TOUGH

You've said it all, counciler. I did the same thing with my first novel. There was not a doubt in my mind that it wouldn't be published. I look back on that effort and blush to think I was so bad. I've rewritten that novel more times than I can count. I cut it in half and put in some more chatacters. It's supposed to be published in several months by Unbound, an alternative lifestyle publisher claiming to expand into different themes. I've gone through so much with it, and the two other novels I've written. I've learned the craft, I think.

y'all come

Laura Gibson

I agree completely! I'd say more but you did such a splendid job!!

Mary M.

You're doing a remarkable job of managing your life, so pat yourself on the back, sir.

Also, when you find your brains and energy are in the pits, just remind yourself that writing is the natural result of your creative passion.

Stick with this creative craft and feel the joy!

Glen T. Brock

Re: Really Writing is passion

Thomas,

Reading of your continuing journey to become a writer I am struck with something that appears to be missing in your experience. Having something to say is very much as important as how you say it. Without passion your writing, albeit solidly constructed, will have no soul. Having passion in your writing forgives many other faults. Without it there is nothing.

Glen T. Brock

Thomas H Johnson

I do not believe this aspect is missing in my statement, although it may have been simplified. The passion is encompassed in what I wrote about "...awakening your desire to write...".

I think there are three parts to passion. There is passion for writing in general (I would like to write). There is passion for writing something you want to say (I would like to write a story about...). But passion for my stories has propelled me to the third aspect of passion; becoming "passionate" about getting the story in a publishable form and learning the Craft of Writing (I am going to write a novel about {put your story here} correctly and get the damn thing published).

I do not believe basic passion for writing about a particular topic or story is enough. The passion for putting your story into text should push you put it in a form worthy of publishing. Proper use of the Craft (with passion) will go a lot farther than mere passion to write a story. This is what I was writing about in the first aspect of writing. Agents and publishers want our passionate stories without faults...

Thomas H. Johnson

Thomas H Johnson

Re: Really Writing is passion (Revised)

I do not believe this aspect is missing in my statement, although it may have been simplified. The passion is encompassed in what I wrote about "...awakening your desire to write...".

I think there are three parts to passion. There is passion for writing in general (I would like to write). There is passion for writing something you want to say (I would like to write a story about...). But passion for my stories has propelled me to the third aspect of passion; becoming "passionate" about getting the story in a publishable form and learning the Craft of Writing (I am going to write a novel about {put your story here} correctly and get the damn thing published).

I do not believe basic passion for writing about a particular topic or story is enough. The passion for putting your story into text should push you to put it in a form worthy of publishing. Proper use of the Craft (with passion) will go a lot farther than mere passion to write a story. This is what I was writing about in the first aspect of writing. Agents and publishers want our passionate stories without faults...

Thomas H. Johnson

p.s. See? I was in a hurry and left out a little word "to" which made a major difference in my writing. Shame on me for posting without proper proofreading!

Glen T. Brock

Thomas,

From your writing it appears the passion you have is for the craft and not the content. Do you write about issues or the celebrity that comes from it? Are you more interested in saying something than having something to say?

I'm not being sarcastic. The entire point of writing is communicating. Without communicating an idea the work can be technically perfect yet unreadable.

One of the biggest pitfalls a writer can fall into is that of celebrity. The panache of being a 'writer' suffocates the inspiration for writing something memorable.

Glen T. Brock

Thomas H. Johnson

My passion is for writing my stories. I intended to share with this forum my perception of the difference between writing for fun and writing for potential publication (and fun). I believe there is a difference.

The Craft is a concept I did not understand until it hit me one day. The closest example is staring at a squiggly-lined picture, trying not to focus too hard, and finding the three-dimensional image*.

*You know, the posters one looks at for thirty minutes and replies \"I get it\" or \"I don\'t see a thing.\"

Thomas H. Johnson

Jose Rodriguez

I'm 24 and a recent college graduate. I've written on and off for about 10 years. Writing was the medium that allowed me to express my feelings, almost as good as music except that I never had the talent or drive to write my own music. Writing poetry and prose is what I'm good at.
    Since graduating, I've taken my writing much more seriously. After watching the movie "High Art" and drawing inspiration from conversations I've had with friends over the years, I began writing what should be my first book. Currently, in the process of looking for publishers. Thinking that self-publishing is the way to go.
    I've gone long enough about myself. Here's where I get to the point. My writing is largely powered by my passion though I've shaped it with my discipline and picture of the finished product. When writing poetry, I have an image and paint with words. In putting together the book, I have an image of its framework, not unlike that of a "concept album." It's all about the right mixture of passion and discipline. Passion makes literature interesting, while discipline provides it a vehicle for expression.