HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Elizabeth

Re: To Kayla

I second the two posts above. The reading is important. Read all you can. Have you read Jane Eyre? Little Women? To Kill a Mockingbird? The Catcher in the Rye?

All these are novels about people of your age. Enjoy.

Read them if you haven't.

Nora Christie

Didn't Greg Robinson mention he taught English? I see a match made in Heaven.

Nora

Lindi

I see no reason to discourage a kid. We wereall pretty rough in the beginning. All she has to do is study hard, do a lot of crits, get a lot of crits and take at least four writing courses. She'll kick butt.

Gary Kessler

Lindi: This isn't the beginning. This is about the third rerun--of the same *blinking* movie.

Lindi

Well, I haven't been here long enough to say much. I just feel an odd protectiveness for kids. Guess it's the mom in me.

Reese

Oh, Bill! Did you ever say a mouthful!

"At the end of that period compare what you've written then to what you've written now. Hopefully there will be marked improvement."

At one point I was so glad that I destroyed evidence of all my earlier writings. Now I wish I had kept them just to show students and novices the difference between what I thought was the Great American Novel back then and what I feel is good today. Now I find myself still striving to reach something close to the pretty d*mn good American novel. Experience IS the best teacher.

kayla

I know I am not ready to be published just yet. I need time to focus on improving myself. When I mentioned changing a senior paper into an article. I never meant that I was going to publish right now. I only meant that it was an idea. I need time to improve my skills. Which I am doing. I am taking more time to fix each sentence, to improve my work. It is taking time but it is well worth it. I have been improving but not yet at the right level. I do believe that maybe the education helped me but mostly its on my part for slacking off and partially because it takes me a while to understand things. I was just realizing tonight that in order to get where I want to in life I need to really work harder on my skills. I have so many plans and ideas for articles but I do realize that its not time right now to query them. I mean I am going back and editing every piece I have. I have to admit that each piece is improving. Maybe not as much as one hoped but I am improving. I am following the advice of others, I am just more slow at catching little hints in each piece that has been editing. When I post on here its not only for revision help but to show you that I am improving a little. It will take time but it's well worth the time and effort. Thanks.

Kayla

Reese

Actually, Nora, if you take a close look at the spelling, punctuation, lack of beginning sentence capitalization, etc., of Mr. Robinson's posts, I would hope that we would all hope for better quality work than that from young Miss Kayla.

kayla

I am trying to improve my work, I do realize that it will take longer then I thought. It will be time consuming to improve my skills but it is something that needs to be done. I am slowly improving but still need more revision and practice done. Thank you for everything.

toby

to roy and all

So much to say,
    Roy, you’re a class act.
    “My vituperation has put an undeserved dark cloud over writers.net, something I abhorr in others whose sole purpose is to create dissention. I have joined their ranks but wish to leave them.”
    Cool move, sir. The world could learn a thing or two from your style.

everyone, I’m the guy that posted the ‘Wink, Wink,’ to one of Kayla’s posts months ago.
    I thought she might have been an imposter. Maybe we’ll never know.
    Reading her is puzzling, no space after periods, missing verbs.
    Could English be her second language. [not joking} They read that way.
    Toby