HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Amanda Roper

"Inside the flap" - opinions please

I just now finished my first novel, so I have never written the "inside the flap" or back cover blurb. I would really appreciate any advise you could give me about the attempt I have posted below. Thank you.

For centuries, the people of Uthra have lived in relative peace, united against an extreme climate. However, a new power threatens to overthrow the aged king and plunge Uthra into chaos.

Rumors of an unknown plague and unnatural creatures living in the isolated province of Tembar have followed traveling merchants for months. Passive nervousness gave way to terror after Uthra’s Princess Kalie vanished in the wastes surrounding the little visited Tembar Castle.

It is up to Prince Lanre and his lady, Maya, to solve the mystery of Kalie’s disappearance before the growing threat is strong enough to strike.

linton lewis

Re: "Inside the flap" - opinions please

A new power threatens to overthrow an aged king and plunge Uthra into chaos.

Plague and unnatural creatures living in the isolated province of Tembar threaten.

Uthra’s Princess Kalie vanishes. Passive nervousness yields to terror.

Prince Lanre and his lady, Maya, act to solve the mystery of Kalie’s disappearance before the growing threat is strong enough to strike.

Without knowing the story, amanda, this is the style I recomend. Short action sentences written in the present tense like an synopsis.

linton [seeking his muse]

Gary Kessler

Oh, I think Amanda's original is far superior for a cover blurb. That suggested in the response is monotonous and choppy.

Main problems I see is that it shifts tenses (should be "Passive nervousness gives way to terror after Uthra’s Princess Kalie vanishes") and it raises some unnecessary questions such as "what new power?" (the first impression is that it's the plague), "where's Uthra in relationship to Tembar," and "what's the relationship between Prince Lanre and Princess Kalie." In short, it doesn't relate the story elements revealed well enough. Cover blurbs can be longer than this, so I'd try linking the concepts better and filling it out with a few more linking adjectives.

Glen T. Brock

Amanda,

Usually the author doesn't do the blurbs. I would think one of the publisher's editors would write it. Remember, the purpose of the blurb is to sell the book.

Congratulations and good luck!

Glen T. Brock

Gary Kessler

Both agents and publishers sometimes ask authors for blurbs, so there's no reason not to prepare one before submitting. Doing a blurb actually helps ensure the book has a focused point, so there's a payoff for the author to do one before peddling it.

I myself think it best that the author does at least the first draft of the blurb--just like those covers we all see where the heroine is shown as a tall, willowy Scandinavian and we start reading the book to find out she's really short and Greek, there really is no one better to at least write the draft of the cover blurb than the author.

Amanda Roper

Thank you all for the suggestions. I didn't know exactly how long these things usually are, other than two or three paragraphs for paperbacks.

I had rather thought that a publicist wrote these, but the first company I plan to send the ms to asks that everything be sent with the submission. I.E. summary, back cover blurb, bio, contact information, author's picture, and the complete ms.