HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Bly Oxford

Re: More on dialect

Linton.
    Your book doesn't seem the genre I usually read. but if it were literary or commercial fiction, I wouldn't read past the first page of dialogue. I tried to read "Clockwork Orange" because I heard it was a brilliant work, but i never finished it. If words get in the way of the story, for me, the book is too much trouble to read.
    Bly

linton lewis

Re: More on dialect

Thanks guys, I've always suspected that. I don't care about insulting people, ever read James Ellroy and Elmore Leonard? But I do want my readers to not slow down and have to make an effort to understand.

Glen I forgot that I used to live in Buckhead, third floor of a big mansion across from the governor's mansion. I used to dring at Irene's. I studied acting at the Academy Theatre. East Atlanta I know little about except for Ponce de Leon Street and Decatur. As a kid I slipped into the Fox theater all the time. There's a side entrance that many come out and when they did I'd slip into the little partitioned off room. I peak out the dore to the loby and when the ushers weren't looking I sliped in. I used to sell real estate in Mableton to people who sold their houses in West End during the racial turnover.

Book stores, huh, I think most writers think very warmly about owning a book store. Ever read Lawrence Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr series. The cover on my book says it's wickedly funny and I agree.

y'all come

toby

who cares where you lived

ugg, a boring post , a boring chapter written by a boring white guy named linten trying to sound black. ouch.
    lard help me.
    toby
    as always, i'm here to help

linton lewis

Re: who cares where you lived

Thanks, toby, your post made my day.

y'all come

Neil

Who Cares How You Speak

Good luck with this Linton but I won't be reading your book if it's published because I despise the heavy use of dialect in writing. It's dense, to the point of being inaccessible, and I refuse to slog through three hundred pages of such hard to read prose.

Glen T. Brock

Re: Who Cares How You Speak

Linton,

I almost ran over Lester Maddox as he rode his bicycle on West Paces Ferry Road. I was on my way to work and almost changed history.

There is a lot of truth to what Neal says in his post. Over use of dialect makes for a difficult read.

Glen T. Brock

linton lewis

Re: Who Cares How You Speak

Old Lester, he was something else.