HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Keshia Watson

Re: Can't Hurry Lovept2

Ok so do I have to wear a uniform to fit in here to? i'm sorry maybe its just my age, but since when did you have to conform to a code of conduct in this place?
    Most of what Gregory has said has been so inspiring, and he obviously is very talented. There are NO rules in what you write here, why are you being the regulators?
    The word conformists springs to mind...... i'm sorry was that harsh?

Karen Dionne

Keshia -

The Writer's Net forums are discussion groups. Did you ever read each board's description on the "Forum List" page? Here's a sampling:

UnPublished Writers

Discuss
    the road to being published. Share your experiences/dilemmas/questions with fellow unpublished writers and published writers here.

Published Writers

Discuss
    building your writing career. Your fellow published writers may be able to help you turn breakthrough into sustained success.

Literary Agents

Discuss
    literary agents and agenting... What should an agent do? Who is legit and who isn't? Agent dilemmas...

Writing Craft

Discuss
    the craft of writing. Questions about how to string words, sentences and stories together? Ask them here.

Perhaps with that in mind, you can understand why Gregory's posts generate confusion. Here on the writing craft board, we discuss things like sentence structure, punctuation, grammar, points of view, plot, pace, dialogue, and other similar topics that have to do with, well, the craft of writing. Occasionally someone posts an except for critique, and while that <I? might [/i] have been what Gregory had in mind, if he doesn't tell us what he wants from us, how are we supposed to know?

Writing is nothing if not communicating. Gregory is welcome to post whatever he wants, but on the other hand, if his audience doesn't "get it," he might want to rethink his approach.

Yes, it is about fitting in, Keshia. You can't remake the world to suit yourself. These forums are what they are, and those of us who use this particular one to improve our writing skills appreciate the collective wisdom that can be found here. In fact, I've got a sentence I'm struggling with this morning, and if I can't wrap my mind around it pretty soon, I just might post it later on and ask where I should put the commas. Not a particularly lofty and esoteric question, but a necessary part of the Writing Craft.

Karen

Karen

Keshia Watson

Please dont get me wrong, i'm trying to say that every person is an individual, they have their own writing style and their own way of communicating. I appreciate everything that this forum is made for, and since I have been here i have learned alot. I know Linda that you did suggest certain formats of writing to Gregory. I do not want to change the world to suit myself, if that be the case i would have created my own forum and dominated the whole publishing world.....lol.
    Haven't we always been told to ask for answers when we dont understand? It seemed everyone was just sweeping in on him, instead of trying to understand where he was coming from. If we are here to help should we not be able to atleast communicate in a way that doesn't offend?.
    There are many many many more experienced authors in here than me, and i'm just a baby in the writing world and in the world in general. I would be happy to help anyone who needs it.
    Thankyou

Gary Kessler

I think it's fine that Gregory's posting as he is, Keisha, but in order to sustain your argument, you'd need to accept that there's no obligation on anyone else to reach out to him if they think he's just counting his toes to himself rather than trying to communicate or ask anything within the definitions of the this website. And further than this, if they chose to try to communicate with him in their own, individual writing style (e.g., directly asking "and what the H does that mean?" or signaling with a joke that he seems to be shoveling "it" deep and wide), then this is exactly what you're defending as well, isn't it? Just noting the circular reasoning here.

Bly Oxford

Is Gregory's post the type of "Stream Of Consciousness" that agents and publishers say they don't want to see? I've never read "Stream of Consciousness" writing, so maybe I learned somehing.

anteann

Keisha and Lindi, etc:
    You know the drill...be careful on the internet, etc, etc, etc,...
    Lecture over.
    Back to the salt mines.

Lindi Hobbs

Don't worry. I was just being nice.