HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dialogue

Liz

Dialogue

For those who may be interested, I asked a writing coach yesterday about the use of dialog and dialogue (often used interchangeably around here). She said in the writer's world, it's always "dialogue." "Dialog" is used to denote a verb.

Thus if corresponding with an agent or editor, one would appear amateurish to write that the novel contained "snappy dialog."

Gary, you agree?

Liz

Sheer gen

Re: Dialogue

As far as I know, they are variants of the same term and can be used interchangeably. There is this difference though: while 'dialogue' is a noun, 'dialog' is both a noun and a verb.

Gary Kessler

I don't think agents or editors pay too much attention to the spelling of dialogue/dialog in queries; I certainly don't think it's in the realm of the distinguishing use of "theatre" in the Gloria Swanson set of stage folk.

I do think your writing coach is full of hay to suggest "dialogue" is used as the noun and "dialog" is used as the verb. While acknowleding that either can be used in normal English usage as a noun, Webster's only gives "dialogue" as the verb form. And since it gives "dialogue" first in both cases, U.S. publishing would prefer "dialogue" in both cases.

linton lewis

I like dialogue. It seems more classy to me. As a matter of fact [pardon the cliche} I didn't know that dialog was out there.

Gary Kessler

I first saw "dialog" in material generated by the Pentagon. Same time/place "impact" appeared as a verb and as applying to anything other than driving your car into the side of a building.