HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gary Kessler

Re: How to overcome writers block?

I usually go do the dishes. There's almost always a pile to do when I find myself momentarily lost for words.

Jeff Draper

I've seen somewhere (it might even have been on these boards) that there is a difference between writing with a pen or pencil and writing with a keyboard. One activates the creative side and the other activates the logical side. Try switching from whichever one you use to whichever one you don't.

Gary Kessler

Jeff: That might have been said somewhere on the boards, but why would anyone need to accept it as a truth and then use it elsewhere as an axiom? Both handwriting and keyboarding are automatic, acquired brain-eye-hand coordination skills. The creative effort is all brain; I see no reason why it would be greatly limited by the recording skill that goes with it--beyond, at least in my case, that I can keep up with the brain's creative outflow better with the keyboarding, and after it's all finished I can decipher what I keyboarded a lot better than what was handwritten (and it's also in a far better manipulative and retrievable form).

Reese Greer

Actually, there is some validity to the suggestion that one method works differently from the other. If you are in any degree proficient with touch typing, you tend to work solely from one side of the brain. If you do not utilize a keyboard, and prefern the "hands-on" of pen and paper, there is a more physical aspect, which does, in fact, activate different parts of the brain. I don't know that this makes any great difference in how well you are able to write ... just thought you might want to know.

Gary Kessler

Well, at least that will provide another reason (other than lack of talent) that writers can use for not being able to get published. "How was I to know? My writing talent required writing by hand, and here I went and took a typing course--my typing teacher ruined my chances for all time." :-)

Agents and publishers will be relieved to learn that there's another scapegoat in the house.

Reese Greer

Gary,

Do you think you may have a lawsuit against that dastardly typing teacher? Alienation of indentions? Irreconcilable cursiveness? And, if so, would your paper supply be considered a co-respondent?

joan zucker

are you from new york?