HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    A. L. Gerard

Correct punctuation, please

I feel kind of moronic asking this, but could someone out there please tell me the correct way to punctuate this sentence? I'd like to put it in my query letter to an agent, but I just can’t get it to look right. Please advise.

“It’s the story of an embittered immigrant, determined to grab his share of the American Dream, and the assortment of sinister characters who enter his life during the bitter winter of 1863.”

Thanks for your assistance.

Jane Newcomer

Re: Correct punctuation, please

A.L. - Did not think it was the punctuation, thought it needed to be rephrased. For what it's worth, here's a suggestion.

Itís the story of an embittered immigrant who is determined to grab his piece of the American Dream, and his encounters with an assortment of sinister characters during the harsh winter of 1863.

Got rid of bitter. Too close to embittered.

Murg

Itís the story of an embittered immigrant determined to grab his share of the American Dream and the assortment of sinister characters who enter his life during the bitter winter of 1863.

Jack Jackson

I agree with Ms. Newcomer; it's best to not use embittered in the same sentence with bitter. Harsh is fine. Or maybe, cruel.
    Jack J

Gary Kessler

A.L: Your sentence is just fine, including the punctuation (and, I think, better than the alternatives suggested, by the way).

Liz

Agree with Gary. I like the use of embittered, it tells us a lot in that short sentence. Just switch bitter winter to harsh or lengthy winter or something. Keep the protag adjective strong.

Mary M.

I like Murg's rendering, but would replace "bitter" with "harsh," as suggested by another poster. Murg's sentence flows smoothly and is very visible.

Goliardys

I think I know why this sentence doesn't sound quite right to you. Although the punctuation is perfectly correct, the following two phrases run together on the ear.

"...determined to grab his share of the American Dream, and the assortment of sinister characters who enter his life...

Goliardys

A. L. Gerard

Thanks, everyone. Good catch on the "embittered" and "bitter". I'll change that. As for the (un)consensus of opinion on the comma usage and sentence structure, ain't the English language wonderful in its flexibility?