HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Roy Abrahams

Beware some calls for submissions

This isn't the easiest post I've put up, gang. But I feel it is necessary after a phone call I had today with the person to whom I had sent one of my unpublished stories. You may recall that in July of last year, a Joe Koppe posted an announcement that he was part of a critique group meeting once a month in the Chicago area. At the time, he asked any of us wishing to do so to send our unpublished projects to him; they would be critiqued by "persons with wide experience in literature," or words to that effect.

I sent my story "Death and Hilger Divish." A long time went by without hearing anything. When I emailed with a request for the story's status, the reply was an excuse for the delay; a promise was made that the critique would be done by October, at which time the writers would be sent their critiques. October came and went. In December, I emailed again and was told the critique on my story was done and would be sent me in January.

January came and went. So did February. No word. On 7 March, I wrote saying "Please advise your colleagues in this disappointing venture that I desire notification by USPS that my story "Death and Hilger Divish" has been read and is being returned with the acknowledgement that
    I alone have any claim to its authorship."

After the many excuses, delays, and refusals to reply to my requests, I felt that request was advised. Again, no reply.

I finally found Joe Koppe's phone number and called him just after noon today. He immediately launched into a filibuster of more excuses, said the group had been disbanded, and took the opportunity twice to make snide references to my accusations that they were stealing my work. I can't swear to it but it sounded like he then called me an "@!#$" before hanging up on me.

In light of all this, I'm suggesting that none of us cooperate with the next person coming into writers.net and asking that we submit our unpublished works. The frustration I experienced was certainly enough to cure me of doing it again.

Roy Abrahams

Roger Duval

Re: Beware some calls for submissions

What a nasty experience Roy. A couple of years ago when I just finished my ms and was in that "all I need is a quick edit and it's on to fame and fortune" space, I paid $250 to a former poster on this site and sent my novel to England for the review. I should have taken that $250 and slapped it down on a roulette table. Looking back I laugh, but I was pretty frosted trying to contact this "editor" time and time again. I never received the promised edit, but hey, at least my $250 helped pay a month’s rent at someone’s flat. At least we can all share our experiences and learn from each other.

Good luck with your Novel...The title in intriguing.

Roger

Gary Kessler

You apparently didn't realize that on 2 April Koppe replied to your early April "Warning Shot" string on this forum. He claimed to be in treatment for Hodgkin's. A quick search on this forum will surface his message.

M T

I looked up that post, sounds like more excuses to me. It reminds me of a woman I know, who also suffered from Hodgkin's, and milks that fact for all it's worth. Everytime she rips off another person, she starts crying about her disease. I know I sound callous here, but I really can't stand people who use their misfortunes as an excuse to abuse others. Besides, it strikes me as suspicious that this Joe guy has so much bad luck all of a sudden. ...Hey! Here's a guy who sent me his manuscript! Oh Dear! Now I have cancer, and my computer has died, and my writing group has disbanded! That means I don't have to keep my end of the bargain! Yippee!

P.S. What was stopping him from returning Roy's manuscript, along with the explanation that he has become ill so he will have to pass?

Gary Kessler

Despite your "our team against your team" approach to life, M.T., I didn't suggest or imply that Koppe had "done Roy right" or even that he had a good excuse for doing him wrong. Roy declared he hadn't gotten a recent reply from the guy, and I was bringing his attention to a recent reply he'd gotten from the guy and apparently had missed.
    (Swish those pom-poms, "Go team go!")

M T

blinded by your own pom-poms

Gary, I know you weren't implying that Koppe had an excuse. I guess I can see where my post might be misconstrued, but I was actually mad at Joe Koppe, not you.

:-) you can stop swishing now if you like. hehehe

Roy Abrahams

The reply

Gary......I most definitely did not see the reply but am looking for it now. Not trying to put a fine point on the issue, but he should have emailed me direct. As in a reply to the last plea I sent him for some form of cooperation. I'll let this thing rest as I am probably out nothing but the time I spent. And thank you for alerting me to that post. Now, to find it.

Roy

Gary Kessler

Re: The reply

I agree he should have e-mailed direct--and back when you first brought it up.