HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: "Then"

Molly B.

"Then"

Okay,

Can "then" be used legitimately as a conjunction (in place of "and", "but", "or", etc.)? I know that, overused, it can sound sophomoric, but once in a while, if used at just the right spot to denote a literal chain of chronologic events? What do you guys think?

Thanks,
    Molly

M T

Re: "Then"

Yes, I think 'then' can be used, sparingly, as you would with others like 'and', 'but', etc. I prefer to use 'then' in the middle of a sentence rather than as the first word, although there are probably exceptions for this as well.

linton lewis

Not me. I try to root it out every chance I get.

Gary Kessler

I'm not sure what you're asking, Molly. No, "then" isn't a conjunction. It can be an adverb, noun, or adjective, but it isn't a conjunction. But there are times you can use it with the conjunction implied. (E.g., "Tony greased his hair, then slid all the way to third base." The conjunction "and" is implied. But "then" doesn't become a conjunction here; it's still an adverb.)

Molly B.

Right, that's what I was asking, Gary. I know "then" is not literally a conjunction.

Linton, I try to use it VERY sparingly, as in once in my 128,000 word novel. :-) It can sound silly if used all the time like some writers do.

Thanks, all!

Molly

Sheer gen

If you used it all the time like some writers do, then it could sound silly. :-)

Bob Kellogg

So what?

If you use it a lot, then what? If people get nasty, then the bodyguard can help. Even if you used to take care of yourself, that was then, this is now. Don't fret about it. Just hire the bodyguard.

But if your manuscript nees slimming, then is a good place to start. It's usually excess fat.

Bob K.