HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Jane Forsman

Re: Pictures. Words. Ideas

Jack,

I've seen THE WATCHER IN THE WOODS, but perhaps it's a different version. Your description sounds nothing like it, although I know the one I saw was done by Disney. It's about a girl who disappears one night, named Karen, and another girl's search to discover where she went. She finds out that Karen and a few other friends were doing some witchcraft in an old church, a fire started, and Karen was trapped and died. Or something like that.

I don't recall any monsters of any kind, green, blue, or yellow.

What year was your version released?

Jack Klaw

Snot Monster

Hi Jane
    It's the same picture. The spooky witchcraft stuff was a mcguffin. The real story is only revealed at the end after, somehow, the alien creature is swapped out for the missing girl. You may remember, she returns at the end of the picture, not aged at all after 20 years.

Apocriphal story: The actress playing Karen was a platinum blond when they originally completed her scenes. Finished, she went off and became a brunette for another job. But when Disney stuck on their new ending, they decided to shoot a triumphant reunion scene with her mother (an ancient Betty Davis. However, in re-bleaching her hair, they turned it into a pack of dry straw and ruined it...hence the phony looking platinum blond wig she's wearing in her final scenes.

And, as you demonstrate, the monster turned out to be quite forgettable. He only shows up in the last reel (last 10 minutes) of the picture, and they may even have cut the laughable radioactive crustatean out of the final version in favor of the Snot-Monster, I can't remember. I know there was lots of talk about it, but I was already on to another dog picture, Condorman. (my line: Condorman...He Flocks Alone) Hey, I never said I didn't write crap, too.
    Klaw

Jane Forsman

Re: Snot Monster

Wow, Jack. It's so funny to think of a snot monster suddenly popping into the last ten minutes of that movie. It makes absolutely no sense (perhaps because I'm used to it the way it is).

That movie scared the bejesus out of me when I was a kid. I bet if I watched it again, it still would.

That's pretty cool that you were involved with that project!

Jack Klaw

Watcher In The Woods

Jane
    It had some scary moments, was well-shot and the old English manse was appropriately spooky. The picture probably deserved a better fate than it received. I particularly liked the hand-held tracking shots, the monster's POV as he lurched through the woods watching the new family coming to live in the mansion. Come to think of it, there was lots of other stuff they shot after the disastrous NY screening "to try to save the picture", footage that never made the final cut... flights through other solar systems, attempts to show where Karen had been while she was lost in that other dimension or space/time portal or whatever was actually inside that old tree.

The original novel was very well written, a story beautifully told...but when Disney bought the rights, the producers got a screen writer to do their "interpretation" of what the story was "really about," and that's when the trouble began. Lost in translation. That happens more often than you might think.

I forget the lead actress's name, but it seemed she was an ice skating star and Disney was attempting to groom her for a motion picture career.

In my opinion, some of the best commercials I've done have never been seen by anybody. In a way, that's the nature of the business, particularly on big accounts where you have the money to build several campaigns and then pick and choose. I remember for the tease trailer for Watcher I caused to be created some experimental Rorshachian footage mixed with quick cuts of bats, cats, chanting in a circle, and ancient evil-looking Betty Davis, and I got this nasty, deep-voiced, untrustworthy narrator to say..."What do you see...and what do you THINK you see?"
    I think it ran early on in theaters, but once we got more footage from the production itself, we reverted to the more conventional. But, you know, that's the real world, you don't win them all.
    Klaw

Jane Forsman

Re: Watcher In The Woods

Jack, what an amazing story! I just ran into the living room to tell my dad about it, since we always watched it together during my childhood. He was just as shocked I was.

Jack Klaw

Re: Watcher In The Woods

Jane
    The thing is, many movies are in a fairly fluid state all the way through the advanced screenings when the producers sit in the back of darkened theaters and listen to whether real people laugh and gasp where they're supposed to. Endings, particularly, are up for grabs. I have some irreverent theories as to why this should be so.
    Klaw

shaunda sullivan

Re: Pictures. Words. Ideas

wow