HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Cassidy

ever since or every since?

Will someone out there in writing land tell me if you use the term every since or ever since? My fellow writer and I are having a dispute...really a bet about it. :>)

Sentence example: Ever since the two of them split up, she was depressed.
    or
    Ever since she was a little girl, she loved the ballet.

In this context?......

Thanks!

M T

since who?

It would be "ever" since. "Every" since makes no sense, since there is no such thing as a since. So how could you possibly say everysince?

sentence example: Every since is a nonexistent since. But what exactly is a since? Everytime you say everysince you speak nonsensical ... non since ical? Nonsense!

mike

Re: since who?

Hmmm!

MT how about: In every since of the word.

mike

Hmmm, again!

Or is it ever sense of the word. ;-)

M T

Every since of the word actually sounds like someone speaking with an accent -- accint? ;-)

Gary Kessler

I have been sick of this conversation in every sense of the word ever since I opened the string.

Murg

Drop the "ever" and just put "Since she was ..."

Karen Dionne

Is it just me?

Shouldn't the example sentence,

"Ever since the two of them split up, she was depressed" actually read, "Ever since the two of them had split up, she had been depressed"?

Also, shouldn't "Ever since she was a little girl, she loved the ballet" be "Ever since she was a little girl, she had loved the ballet"? Or am I just unnecessarily complicating things?

Murg

Re: Is it just me?

No, when a writer overuses the word "had", it bogs the whole piece down and puts it in passive voice. But the "ever" should be deleted in any event.

Gran

NOT PASSIVE VOICE

Oh, excuse me...just my cranky voice. The addition of "had" to the verb, making it past perfect tense DOES NOT make it passive voice. Past perfect is something called "the flashback tense" in writing books and other such pointless prattle. It signifies action that occurred well before the time period of your narrative. Overusing it slows down your narration and makes it wordy but it does not make it passive.

Note:

Joan had slapped Frank silly many times. [Past perfect tense -- ACTIVE VOICE.]

Frank was slapped by Joan many times. [Past tense -- PASSIVE VOICE.] <-- See passive voice, no had involved. It's passive voice because the subject of the sentence "Frank" is being done to, instead of being the one active in the sentence.

Thank you...putting away my soapbox now.
    One problem with identifying all multipart verb tenses as passive is that is makes writers afraid to use the correct tense for the correct situation.

Grumpy Gran