HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Picture Books

Prepositions please

Stan tapped at his pocket watch with the tip of a finger and frowned at the mantel clock, concerned *with time.

ABOUT or WITH, please?

Lawrence

Re: Prepositions please

My read is, if he was abstractly worried about the philosophical notion of time, "with", but if he is concerned about being late, or something happening at an inappropriate time, "about."

Then again, he could be worried, which requires "about" and thus removes the decision.

fwiw.

Lawrence

You have now been prepositioned ;-)

murg

If he's concerned about what the time is, he is concerned about the time. If he was too little (or too much) time to do something, he is concerned about time. If time in general (shades of Einstein and relativity) he is concerned with time.

P.S. Where's Granny? She hasn't posted in a while.

murg

Lawrence, we posted simultaneously and, darn it, I've never been prepositioned in my life.

Lawrence

of, before, over, through, around, in front of, . . .

There, Murg, those were for you. lol

Picture Books

Prepositioned

....and so early in the afternoon, too.

Well, Stan is obsessed with time.

Considering his obsession, how about, "Stan tapped at his pocket watch with the tip of a finger and frowned at the mantel clock, concerned (fully occupied?) with seconds, hours and minutes."

Lawrence

Re: Prepositioned

Stan tapped at his pocket watch with the tip of a finger and frowned at the mantel clock, concerned with every second.

I think the repetition, which I ordinarily wouldn't mind, here make a distinction without a difference. And since he will exhibit his obsession at other times, you might not want to drive it with a sledge too early.

Picture Books

Scream

I've been staring at this for too long....damn the prepositions.

Stan tapped at his pocket watch with the tip of a finger and frowned at the mantel clock. He was fully occupied (by/with) time. Every second, hour and minute of it.

Lawrence

Re: Scream

with

Sully Magma

Re: Scream

"Stan tapped at his pocket watch with the tip of his finger, then frowned at the mantel clock above: he was concerned with time."

I liked your original (with tiny editing of my own) best, PB. He doesn't sound like the kind of man who would be frantic over the moment, but he does seem burdened by courteous behavior when he is anxious, thus he "frowns" but he does not "sigh." That's my take:I could be terribly amiss if that is not your character's character. Is he that kind of a character? Good luck.

sully