HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Abby

Need advice on how do u have time to write?

I was wondering when do you have time, or make time to write. I go to classes during the day so I don't have much time when I get home to write.. any advice?

Lisa Werth

Re: Need advice on how do u have time to write?

Abby,
    Busy people can find time to write, it's about organizing your life.
    A few years ago when I was drafting my manuscript I was working between 40 to 50 hours a week, volunteering about 20 to 30 hours, and writing anywhere from 20 to 30 hours a week. It involved using a date book and sticking to schedules. I took my notebooks and pencils with me everywhere. I wrote in restaurants, on public transportation, on breaks at work, and then took myself off to a study room at th elibrary were I wouldn't be distracted.
    Lisa

Abby

Hey Lisa,

You didn't find it hard to write on the road, like say if you were on a bus? That's a good idea tho. I might be able to get a bit done. Would working from 8pm- to past midnight be good for Friday and Saturday nights? I feel more energy during the night. Also, do you listen to music when you write?

Matt H

Abby,

Best advice I ever received regarding writing. "If you want to become a writer, apply ass to chair and write."

Matt

lane christopher

Amen.

Lisa Werth

Writing styles

Abby,
    I know some people listen to music, others don't . When I find my muse I can usually shut out noise around me although I'm sure it influnces me on a subconcious level.
    As for bus and subway writing. Where I live during rush hour the stops are frequent and lengthy. Plus it's a draft that I convert over to my computer so I don't worry about neatness as much.
    Write at times that you are comfortable able, some write in the morning after sleeing, some have different work schedules. There are no right or wrong answers to that question.
    Lisa

Glen T. Brock

Re: Writing styles

Abby,

When I had my business I used to write at night, after hours, in the store. Not only did I get a lot of writting done, but I got inspiration for other plots. I got them in the three shoot outs and dozens of burglars I caught over the course of thirty years. In fact, I developed lasting friendships with many police officers in the course of my adventures. When they discovered I was writting mysteries (more specifically police proceedurals) they would drop by to offer their support and criticism. That came to a head one night when a major dropped by to see me (at 3am) and pointed out that my writting carreer was endangering the public. How? He pointed out that there was over a dozen police cars parked in front of my store. I was safe but nobody else on the southside was! Oops....

Richard Fulgham

Dear Abby,
    My girlfriend dumped me and run off with a officer in the Spanish Foreign Legion. Should I go after him or help my Mama make cookies for the state fair, like I promised. Also, Abby, I got some zits on my forehead -- like extreme awful! Awesome! The kids at school call me volcano face and it really really really hurts my feelings. What can I do, dear Abby?
    That was a joke. My wife says I have a peculiar kind of humor in that it isn't funny.
    Seriously, this time thing is one of our worst problems. I wrote my first book while working 40-50 hours a week at a newspaper. So I spent my afternoons on Tuesday and Wednesday researching and planning -- then on Saturdays I'd write all day, sometimes eight or nine hours -- even ten. Still it took me three years to produce the book. I managed to find more time by subbing at school (get off at 2:30 and have all summer free). I get up at 4:15AM on weekend days, then at the same time on summer weekdays. I quit around 3 or 4 PM. I don't know how other people do it, but I wanted to share the solution I found -- as distressing at it sounds. Lucky for me, I love writing because it lets me disappear from the so-called real world. A smile to you and good luck! Respectfully, Richard Lee Fulgham.

Picture Book

I stay up til 4am

F Walter

I stay up as long as I'm in the zone!

I hate leaving the house to do absolutely anything else when I know I could be at home writing. Still I must leave occasionally I have a husband, a kid, a kid sister and business to take care of. So these things can't be helped.
    As well as all the things I have to leave my house for, theres also the things I have to do around the house it self yes I'm a housewife too and I don't care what anyone says it's a lot of work!
    I guess what I'm saying is I make the time to write and if writings what you really want to do then you'll make the time too.
    Try not to worry about how much you get done each day, just give it your all and make sure you get as much done as you can.
    Fran.