HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glen

Picture Book

Glen

Picturebook,
    When you mentioned using crayons in your illustration it reminded me of a technique I was introduced to many years ago that is great for illustration.

I think it was called 'lost wax' technique. Gosh, I can't remember so don't hold me to that. Anyway, you make your composition with crayon (on good stock paper),keeping in mind the finished product will be WHITE. Then, using water color, india ink, you make your highlights, shields, and details. Then you remove the crayon. Great effect! It looks good in print too. If you don't know it already, try it!
    Glen T. Brock

Hi Glen
    I keep using the word crayon...I mean coloured pencils. They are also called pencil crayons in the UK.

When using wax crayons as you describe, do you mean using them to resist the water colour and ink? And is the crayon removed with heat? (An iron?)

I do use pencil and wax crayons over water colour or gouache a lot.

Which reminds me, did you get an online portfolio together? Or a printed one?

Glen T. Brock

Re: Glen

Picturebook,

Actually, I think it was something called craypa. I don't remember the actual technique but I think it involved a heat source. Not neccessarily an iron though. Remember what I said about the paper stock. There's alot of water involved in the process.

The results are great. The crayon creates a negative image. The watercolor and india ink bleed through to add a nice texture. The overall effect is that of a crude print.

Speaking of prints--I had success when I took a print and shifted it while still wet. The blurring gave a good effect also. I won some kind of award for that one. It was a long time ago.

No, I haven't put together a portfolio yet. Have you ever heard of an artist/illustrator named Vaughn Bode? I corresponded with him in college. I also met Kelly Freas. He is a marvelous illustrator. Bode used a combination of water color and magic marker very effectively. He was very much a nouveau illustrator. When Lester delRey fired him at GALAXY, he almost quit drawing from depression. I talked him into trying again. The next year he won a 'Hugo' award for best illustrator of the year.

I'm not kidding about being a cheerleader for talent. If I had joined the throngs of critics yowling for Bode's blood he would have never won that Hugo. I'm kind of proud of that.

Picture Book

Glen/Mousebee

http://www.pha.jhu.edu/~jdavies/bode/

Glen..is this the Vaughn Bode you mention? Truly quirky...GREAT stuff! The Mousebee especially. (I'm dealing with mice right now.)

Picture Book

Re: Glen/Mousebee

..what is he doing now? Such talent.....

Glen T. Brock

Picturebook,

Just on the chance I checked Vaughn Bode on the web. Bingo. There's a wealth of material on three or four sites. Deadbone, Cheece Wizard, Cobalt60. You can see his technique clearly. He was a great talent. His death by suicide was especially tragic.

Picture Book

I didn't realise he had committed suicide..that is terrible.

Can you send me the URL's you found?

Glen T. Brock

Picturebook,

All I did was punch in Vaughn Bode on the search bar of MSN. Definately worth a look.