HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just curious.

F Walter

Just curious.

Does anyone else out there have favourite words?
    Because often I'll say something or someone else will and without thinking about it I'll come out with "ooh I love that word"
    Yes this has gotten me a few strange looks in the past!
    Anyway moving on.
    See the thing is that I can't say I've ever known anyone else who picks out words they love like I do...
    Words in my case, like Veracious "ooh I love that word" and Gouged "Ooh Ooh can I keep it? Can I? can I?"

See there I go again!!!

Anyway tell me the truth guys who else among us if any?
    It could just be that I'm a complete wierdo and if so fair enough but honestly people, who else has their favourite words, words that have always just sounded good to them.
    & if you have them tell me some because I really am curious.
    Fran

Russ

Re: Just curious.

I sorta like opthamologist, egregious, and esophogeal. No idea why. I guess they all have the soft-g sound near the end. But then I don't care for gemologist. I really hate that one. Maybe because it sounds like a garbage man calling himself a refuse engineer. Aquiese has a nice sound to it, but I obviously haven't bothered learning to spell it.

Matt H

F

I was about to jump all veracious, because the word is spelled voracious.

Luckily, being a careful writer I checked the dictionary and found veracious to be its own beautiful word meaning truthful.

My new favorite word is cautious.

Matt

Picture Book

panache

smidgen

fog, mist and smog

Kaz

I love words too. I enjoy perusing a dictionary or thesaurus. It gives me a charge to find a new word in a book I'm reading where I have to dig out the dictionary. One of my favorite words is queue.

Picture Book

I have more words, because I have writer's block and feel great after drinking two Glenfiddich.

lop-sided (have no idea why right now.)

calico

gingham

aria

flax

danielle schaaf

As a kid, I enjoyed reading the dictionary. We didn't have 100 tv channels like my kids have today.

I always liked "cheeky" -- must be because I heard it often when I was a kid.

Several years ago, I found myself telling my six-year-old twin sons they looked quite dapper in their new clothes on the way to school That's an expression not heard too often around this part of Texas.

P. Rajaswal

Every since the Florida fiascso in the last US elections, "operative" has been a favorite word of mine.
    Do you suppose the board's own Gary Kessler has been an actual "operative"? I think so.

Gary Kessler

I think not. Was an analyst, manager, and official--but quite distinctly never an "operator." (And, yes, that's a good term that's actually used.)

Judy Greer

melodious, tenacious, would love the word 'lottery' if I'd win it

Hate the word 'grunt' it invokes gruesome images of bodily functions