HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Picture Book

Re: I'll do this if it kills me! /Christopher

LOL

When I've sorted that one out, I have to deal with the Masonic prayers and the Ladies Song.

Liz

PB? Honey? I hate to say anything, but I'm not nutso about it. Not having an Italian background, I get it that "largo" has to do with pace because it follows "tempo." I don't know (other than reading CC's posts) what "allergro" is, and to me "Presto" means instant pizza.

Assuming many of your readers are as dumb as this poor soul, do you really want to confuse us?

"The Grand Master Bertram Beddoes and Mrs. Dorothy Beddoes are to be ceremoniously applauded to top table. The rhythmic clapping begins at tempo largo. Allegro to presto finally ends in tumultuous applause."

I like the first and second sentences fine. I like the IDEA of the third sentence, but starting with a word I don't know has me baffled. I like ending it with "tumultous appluase" because all us non-cultureds know what that means.

Suggest as a compromise combining sentence two and three with something along the ines of, "begins at a moderate tempo largo, speeds up to allegro, acheives presto, and finally ends in ..." because at least then we have a clue that it's all about pace.

Just a thought.

F Walter

I may not be the most experienced writter but I would like to think I'm this average reader you all keep mentioning and I have to say that I agree with Liz.
    Fran.

Murg (Colleen)

How 'bout this?

The Grand Master Bertram Beddoes and Mrs. Dorothy Beddoes are to be ceremoniously applauded to top table. Rhythmic clapping begins, tempo largo, allegro to presto, crescendoing in tumultuous applause.

Picture Book

It's a one @!#$ of a sentence. I'll be glad when dinner starts

Sis Bauman

PB...I'll stick my two cents worth in here only as a reader...not as an expert.
    I don't know the connotation of 'top table'. Perhaps I missed it in an earlier post.
    I'm thrown off too with the musical terms. I can see they are important to you to use. Again, I may have missed it in a earlier post.
    How about something simple like: The rhythmic clapping begins intermittently and builds to thunderous applause....
    Of course not verbatim...
    Thanks for the rating on Amazon.com. I did see it earlier and neglected to tell you.
    Regards. Sis

Picture Book

Hi Sis

Top table is main table. Is this used here in the U.S.? Head table?

Christopher Cosenza

As a former waiter, I can easily say that the table where the important people sit is the HEAD TABLE. Not sure how that transfers into Masonic rituals, but at weddings and bar mitzvahs it's the head table.

CC

Picture Book

It will be changed to HEAD table.

Reminds me of something my mother said way back, when planning a wedding reception. She had hired an organist to provide musical entertainment during dinner.

She was trying to decide how the trestle (long) tables should be arranged. She was drawing diagrams and kept referring to the tables as 'legs.'

She made her final decision and showed her drawing to the hotel manager. "O.K.," she said, "I'd like the head table going horizontally across the room, with two legs coming down vertically either side, with an organ in the middle."

F Walter

He he! Class!
    Fran.