HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Glen T. Brock

Re:Still missing the point

One postscript please,

This string started as a rather amusing discussion of the English Language. I'm sorry it didn't retain it's entertaining flavor.

Reese Greer

Re:Still missing the point

Okay, guys. Time out!

I just wanted to start a fire, not burn down the house!

My problem was not with 12 year olds who have a limited vocabulary by virtue of their level of education, nor was the issue one of transposed letters or occasional dropped letters. It was, as Gary so eloquently pointed out previously, a question of habit. Repeating the same mistakesOur writing habits, as with everything else, tend to spill over into all parts of our lives. My tae kwon do master once said, "Practice doesn't make perfect - practice makes permanent." Once you establish a bad habit, it is hard to break and so it is important to learn to write right early. I thought if I could shine a light on the problem people might INDIVIDUALLY take a look at the problems in their own writing and seek to correct or improve what needed.

As I said, I only meant to strike a light, not burn down the house. Now, someone call the fire department!!!!

Brad

The English Language Moved To Cleveland

I agree with you, Reece. Some of the "writing" skills exhibited on this board are abysmal, particularly when it's emanating from people calling themselves writers. Note the excuses too, don't have the time, not used to my computer's word program, or the keyboard, an editor will catch it, blah, blah, blah. The idea of writers not giving a @!#$ about the actual writing would be comic material for a movie, if it wasn't so pathetic.

Nellie Butler

Re: The English Language Moved To Cleveland

Now, Brad, be careful. I almost took offense here. I'm guilty of not always proof-reading here (though for the most part I do). But this is not a place where I always feel the need to. I think I am very concientious before sending a piece off to be considered--or even critiqued, for that matter. But here, I will use the excuse: "I AM TOO TIRED" and I mean it! ;-)
    I think the excuses given here are valid. And I can testify to the fact that many of the writers who make the occassional mistake here (for whatever reason), are much better at not having the same mistakes in their professional writing.
    You wouldn't want me to go back and see if you made any mistakes, would you (take note, you didn't spell Reese's name right)? What would your excuse be? *g*
    Anyway, I think it's safe to say that the writers here, who are the most serious about a career in writing, don't let those excuses come to play when it's actually WORK.

Glen T. Brock

Last man out turn off the lights...

Reece and Brad,

What I have objections to are remarks such as 'Why do you not use an on line dictionary?' followed by 'I'd tell you if you really needed to know..' Of course, that's paraphrased, but the quote is elsewhere on this string I believe. What is the bull for? In giving the information why not just provide the facts. I didn't know there was an online dictionary either. I've been lugging an Oxford around for ten years...

I agree with the criticism that spelling and grammar are legitimate concerns. I object to the snobbish and bullying attitudes. It's rude. I find no excuse for it. None.

Lisa Werth

Blackout

Different strokes for different folks. As I read the rest of the posts after putting in a full day at work, I can say there are valid points to both side of this discussion. The other part of me says, "why are you spending time dwelling on writers.net when you can be writing (or reading) instead?" I haven't posted often or as lengthy lately because I have been busy, I have been tired, etc. But mostly because I want to focus more on my manuscripts and my agent can't get my posts here published.
    Well back to serious writing!

Gary Kessler

On-line Dictionaries

Glen: Had to be digging in your own dirt pile for that "I'd tell you if you really needed to know" extrapolation off of the suggestion to a writer that dictionaries exist to answer definition and spelling questions. Think you'd be hyperventalting less over this string if you didn't dig for statements and positions that weren't there in the context you assert. Methinks making things up and pushing them to the extreme to try to make your point is pretty rude.

But glad to see you at least picked up some new, useful information--that there are dictionaries on line. Guess the exercise of helping writers to get to the resources they need themselves was worthwhile.

Glen T. Brock

Re: On-line Dictionaries

Gary,
    I have to give you the award for never giving an inch, that's for sure. I don't believe you understand, or believe,(or both) anything I've said here. That's sad.

Although I see another example coming up on the web of what I've been complaining about I'm not going to pursue this any further.

Ryan Anthony

Re: On-line Dictionaries

English is a mutt of language which makes absolutely no sense. Our spelling rules are simply not consistant. It takes practise and expertise to learn to spell worth a damn.