HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Reese Greer

What's happened to the English language?

For months now, I have been cringing at the multiple abuses of language, grammar, structure, and spelling which continually crop up on this site. The most egregious mistakes seem to be in the line of spelling. With allowance for simple typographical errors, there is a multitude of spelling errors which seem to be simple lack of care. Having encountered this problem in newspapers across the nation as well as magazines and other printed materials, I am not really surprised; however, I am quite dismayed that a web site targeting writers and would-be writers seems to hold such a plethora of these errors.

For those whose stock in trade is the written word, this would seem, to me, to be a cardinal sin and still the problem is reaching epidemic proportions. Can someone please tell me why this is so? Doesn't anybody care anymore?

Nellie Butler

Re: What's happened to the English language?

It's not that nobody cares. I think you need to take into consideration that not all writers have the same knowledge and expertise. This site is not exclusive to only the most seasoned writers--that's why it's so successful (IMHO).

It's open to all writers to learn and help each other. There was even a 12 year old on here at one time. Would you expect that person to be on the same level as you? Yes, there are many errors that take place in this forum, but so what? We're all human, and we're all learning.

Where does it say that to be a writer you have to have perfect skills? If it is declared anywhere, I've certainly missed it. This site is not only for those wanting publication, it is for ANY and ALL writers who care to visit. That means you get ones of variable experience and expertise.

To lose any of the writers who are human in their mistakes, would leave a forum I wouldn't wish to participate in. It would be too full of hotheads, relishing pointing out each others' mistakes. ;-)

How else are we to learn here? What would we learn at all if everyone on here were perfect? Learning to write is not only about content. I've seen many a thread here that had to do with spelling and grammar.

This site is here to help everyone. If it were only for those who already knew everything there is to know about the English Language, we wouldn't have the wonderful site we do today.

So I say, WELCOME writers, one and all.

Nellie

Glen T. Brock

Reese,

The problem with the English language is that it is not English. Study the history of England and you begin to understand why our language is a mess. Unlike the other great language, Latin, the English couldn't quite dominate the world with their language. They couldn't even dominate themselves that way either. The Romans occupied Britain during the life of Julius Ceaser and their contribution to the language is greatly appreciated of course. Ah, but there's still the Picts, Celts, Welsh, and others to deal with too. If things weren't bad enough already in 1066 William the Conqueror brought the French over and the whole thing went to hell. Well, maybe it wasn't that bad. The Normans had their good points (Harold got one of them). Add slang, nifty foreign phrases, cultural correctness, and such and English becomes a language of the entire world. There's even Japanese in it(that's right Samurai). With all these foreigners contributing to 'our' language no wonder we can't spell or conjugate worth a damn.

If that wasn't bad enough, somebody invented the typewriter. Now you can't hide spelling errors with bad penmenship!

I suppose we shall muddle on somehow. Just remember, the next time you see a misspelled word, or improper grammer, somebody is trying to make another contribution to the language.

Nancy G

I agree with both of you to a certain point. There are also the posters on here who make the same mistakes over and over, therefore, not really learning from their mistakes but being careless. It irritates me to read their posts anymore, sorry to say. When I see their name, I just know there are going to be errors in it. It's strange, but when I post, I literally go back and proofread my work, something embedded in me, as I want the reader to know I cared enough to make it as good as I possibly could. Then there are the ones who are just being silly and admit their mistakes by laughing at them, which makes me laugh with them, as they caught it but were too tired to correct it. They don't usually make those mistakes. I am still learning about comma usage and sentence structure, as I think I always will, but hopefully that's not being judged here and no one points that out. That would just show to me they are just looking for errors and something to feel superior about, and I don't want to know that person, and, believe me, there a few of those on here as well, not that I've had it done to me personally.

Just my two cents.

Nancy

Nancy G

My post was directed to Nellie and Reese. Have to get it out faster:-)

Jay Carnine

I think part of what you're seeing are habits gained by frequenting Internet bulletin boards.

Speed rather than accuracy seems to be the preferred way.

Even so, I'm like Nancy G and do a bit of proofing before hitting the send button.

Jay

Nellie Butler

I try to do that, too. Sometimes there just isn't time, or--as Nancy said--I'm just plain too tired! lol The point I was trying to make is that who are we to point fingers. Not a one of us is perfect. There are things I'm still learning, and I'm willing to bet that Reese could learn a few things as well.

Reese,
    Hablo un poco espanol, tambien. Pero no se mucho ahora! lol

Nellie Butler

Please, please don't chastise me for the missing punctuation in that post--I was just a bit lazy this time. ;-)

Granny

Spelling -- I dun need no stinkin spelling

The ability to spell is not inherent in an ability to write. I have made a living writing for a number of years and I still can't spell worth a darn. Spellcheck helps (some) but I really rely on my small Websters New World Speller/Divider. I know my shortcomings and look up everything -- actually not everything, but I do have to look up success, opportunity, and guarantee every stinking time I use them along with many many other words. My inability to spell seems to be something I cannot overcome (much like my inability to memorize simple numbers -- like my phone number!!) but it does not prevent me from being a writer.

Now, I do take time to check my spelling of words I am not sure about before I post here -- but, that is not an example of my ability to spell, just a long-standing habit for writing anytime, anywhere.

Gran

Bly Oxford

Maybe we shouldn't be so uptight about others pointing out our mistakes. That shows others are really reading our posts--and this is a certain peeve of mine, many of us are better writers than we are readers--if a mistake is caught and pointed out, that gives us a chance for discussion. We have had many interesting,informative,and in depth discussions concerning mistakes, made carelessly or otherwise. The finger could be pointed at anyone of us at any time. Maybe I'll be next. If so, I will have learned something.
    Bly