For Yvonne, from Newcastle Upon Tyne

Come here me little Jacky,
    Now ah've smoked me baccy,
    Let's hev a bit of cracky,
    Till the boat comes in.
    Dance to thee Daddy, sing to thee Mammy,
    Dance to thee Daddy, to thee Mammy sing;

Thou shalt hev a fishy on a little dishy,

Thou shalt hev a fishy when the boat comes in.

Here's thy mother humming,
    Like a canny woman;
    Yonder comes thy fatha,
    Drunk - he cannat stand.

OK, I'll stop, I'll stop!

Picture Book

Re: For Yvonne, from Newcastle Upon Tyne

hhmm..sounds drug-related. A bit of cracky

Jason Saunders

I tend to get very touchy about writers using a ‘British’ dialect. Sure it’s fine to try and give your characters a different voice, but the danger is you can either get it horribly wrong, or end up infuriating people. The one that had me climbing the walls was in Tom Clancy’s Red Storm Rising, where he constantly had Royal Marines saying things along the lines of “What’s next Left-tenant”.

I’m British and a Lieutenant (and contrary to what many Americans think, the true British pronunciation is not Left-tenant). I know that we pronounce tomato, leisure and oregano differently. But so do you, so why dwell on it? What truly makes our voices different is our cultural differences. This can be from calling Fries, Chips and Chips, Crisps. But more over it’s the things like the British love of sarcasm, breaking the ice in conversation by talking about the weather and the hatred of people that dare queue-jump. But equally it’s the British inability to cope with public displays of high emotion, men hugging, working out why you would want a family car with an engine size of more than 2-litres or our morbid fascination that US television generates programmes like the Jerry Springer show.

I have never had the courage to insert an American character into my plays – although I know it would make them far more commercially viable. But the reason for that is I live in fear of getting it wrong. I have preconceptions of what Americans are like – and I’m sure that many of them are wrong. But so are so many North American impressions of Brits. For a start, very few of us call ourselves Brits. We’re English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish (you’ve only to watch us play rugby to see that).

I love the fact that many of you want to get Brits and Canadians to look over your work, and I’ll happily volunteer to join the throng. But as I said, let’s not get hung up on how we spell and pronounce words, but celebrate the differences in our cultures.

Sorry if I give over the impression that I’m on a soap box here, but when we are becoming swamped with American TV, books, and films in the UK, I sometimes think we’re become the 51st State by osmosis. When in truth, the reason that the States and the UK work so well together is because we are different, look at each other differently and act differently. It’s like our lives as writers - after all, why do we get other people to look over our WIPs?

Let the debate run and let’s celebrate the differences.

Gary Kessler

Bingo, Jason (and I do hope you understand that that's a supportive comment).

Picture Book

Jason

English actors playing Americans can be pretty bad, too.

One thing though, Jason. How can many of us say we are either English, Welsh, Scottish or Irish?

I moved all over England & Wales. I'm not sure where I come from. With a Welsh speaking father & an Irish mother, what am I? So I say I'm British, an envelope for all. (British Isles?) I also say I am from the U.K.

Or do we refer to where we were actually born? My friend's parents are English. She was born in Singapore. The family returned to England when she was 2 months old. Is she English?

Jason Saunders

Re: Jason

That's always fun. I always refer to myself as British - but people argue that I only say that because I'm English. Such comments tend to come from people that want to differentiate themselves from the English (the Scots being the largest in number). But what, if like you, your parents are from different parts of the Union?

I suppose it's like the days of the Raj. Service children born in India tended to call themselves English, as that is the nation they identified with most (Roger Moore being a classic example).

I tend to call myself British to avoid the confusion. But that was the point I was trying to make. Anyone that calls themselves British will have a reason to do so - as in the majority of cases they would be Welsh, English, Scots or Irish. But then you have Gibraltarians, they are very proudly British.

I wonder aloud, if American have the same sort of thing between states? Are you an American first and a Texan second?

Gary Kessler

Re: Jason

Yes, Jason, except for some in those multitudes in the United States who never leave their neighborhoods, I think "Americans" think of themselves as Americans first and Marylanders second. (I put "Americans" in quotes, because, technically Canadians and Brazilians are also Americans, but I think they've come to think of that term as having been besmerched enough to not want to use it themselves much anymore.)

Having lived in several former British colonies (more recently colonies than the United States was, that is), I've often received a snappy reply when I've used the term "Brit" as a noun. Never did find a good alternative, though. "British" is an adjective, not a noun, and I even if I researched the person I was talking to or about to be able to know they are from Scotland, Wales, or England (which I consider as much a chore as anyone would to decide whether it is more correct to call me a Virginian, Coloradian, or Californian, or Oregan, since I have a history with all these states). So what's the intersecting noun for someone from Great Britain?

Picture Book

Gary/Jason

A Briton?