HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    BrianH

Pre-Novel Quotes Page?

What is the page featuring a quote or two prior to the start of the novel itself called?
    And where does it come in re: MS submission? Should it be included as the first page of the MS?
    Is it called the "frontispiece"?

Pamela Taylor

Re: Pre-Novel Quotes Page?

There are several things that I often see in front of the actual beginning of the book... Title page, page with a dedication, page with a relevant quote (which may or may not be the start of the book), table of contents (both in fiction or non-fiction) copyright info page, and achknowledgements. I assume you don't mean the last two. Probably the title page? I included one on my manuscript... seemed like a nice way to fit all the extra information they want in on the top right hand corner of the page of the first page since there ususlly isn't a lot of writing on a title page. I also included the dedication page (since one of the authors I was dedicating it to is currently being published by that house, a fact which I figured they'd notice.) And I have a page with a quote that comes outside of what I consider to be the start of the novel.

I have heard the term frontispiece used and always associated it with the title page, but that's not official, just my understanding.

Hope that helps.

Pamela

Gordon Mc Robbie

I am probably old-fashioned, but I've always found the Frontispiece to be a photograph or some other type of illustration. Also the cover, in the credits, was called the Cover Plate.

In traditional publishing (I go back to leather-bound and gold leaf)the very first and last pages were blank and were called 'End Papers' and were only there to protect the rest of the book from damp.

A quote, whether at the beginning of the book or at the start of a chapter, is usually acknowledged right there, on the spot.

This sort of layout question will be a convention in the particular publishing house. So long as you include what you want, I suggest you let them worry about where it goes.

Gordon

BrianH

Pamela, I think I said "page featuring a quote or two", so yes, its' the quote page I' m asking about.
    Gordon, I think you're right about frontispiece.
    Still wondering what the quote page is called, and whether it should be submitted with the MS.
    No big deal, but now that my MS is finally on Word, I'm wondering if the quote page I include with my paper MS submissions ought to be part of it as well.

Gary Kessler

It's called an epigraph ("Chicago Manual of Style" 1.38). An epigraph can either be a separate front-matter recto page (carried after the dedication and before the list of illustrations--if the book has such pages) or, if it pertains to a particular chapter, a blurb run between the chapter title and the first line of the chapter.

The frontispiece is an illustration (or photo) facing the title page ("Webster's" 10th).

KBG

Of course, Gary knew

I have one--an epigraph--at the beginning of my novel, and I had no idea what it was properly called. (And I have a Chicago Manual of Style!) Thanks again, Gary.

BrianH:
    My epigraph was added to my MS by my agent. I sent it to her after we changed the title, and I'm not sure how she fit it into the MS.

I have to get off this board. Big revisions to finish and a trip to get ready for. Best to all.

Dee jay

Re: Of course, Gary knew

I have always heard all of the additional info. at the front of the book referred to as front matter, which includes dedication page, epigraph, acknowledgements, etc.. It is not necessary to include a dedication page with your submission - publishers will allow you to add this later and I would assume the same could be said for an epigraph, though I would include it with mine if it was directly related to the story and it should be. I would also say the acknowledgements page could be included after acceptance.

Deejay

Gordon Mc Robbie

Re: Epigraph

Just don't get it mixed up with Epitaph. That comes at The End.

Gordon