HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Bob Kellogg

What you can trust and what you can't

You can trust hardware --until the parts fail. Computers are hardware. The PC and the McIntosh are examples of general-purpose computers. They do nothing without a program to guide them. Special-purpose computers? They control your (newer) car's ingition and stuff like that. In San Diego we have signal lights that are computer-controlled ("smart lights"). They react to wires embedded in the street. In those computers, the program is burned into a chip. It had better be perfect, since it becomes part of the hardware. (It's called "firmware." Clever, no?) I've encountered a few rogue signals.

You can't trust software --WordPerfect is a program and programs are software. Why can't you? People create them. Anything that has to accomplish anything useful is so complex that so far no one's been able to make it perfect. Too many combinations to test and efects are too inter-dependent. Computer Science courses in universities are dedicated to the herculean task of turning something that's as much art as science into pure technology. Someday, maybe.

So when that program acts up, don't kick the steel box with the blinking lights. Fire off an angry e-mail to the people who sold you the program. They'll be glad to get it. (Not)

Bob k.

Karen Dionne

For Justin

Why, thank you, Justin! An accolade from a fellow writer is doubly sweet!

Karen

Yvonne Oots

Re: For Justin/Bob

I am certainly not into writing a software company. I gave birth to a geek 25 years ago. I am up to here with software programs and computers. I am just into shooting the damn things. (Not the child) just the computers. I am planning on having a software burning party, on the first. It is a bring your own bottle and software. There will be singing and dancing, with lots of country music.
    We will be doing the dance of the virgins, from memory of course, a good time will be had by all. lolololol
    Yvonne

Justin Morgan

Yvonne, sounds great. See if you can book Bonnie Raitt.

Justin

Yvonne Oots

You bet, any body else.
    Yvonne

Donald Lowery

Re: Karen/Justin

Karen: I agree with Justin's post. I thought your long sentence expressed a view that I have always had in a way that I would be challenged to top. My congratulations for your very good work on that sentence. A pleasure to see your work and your thoughts. Thanks. Don.

Donald Lowery

Re: Back to sentences

See below a sentence from one of the very famous authors of today.

1. Someone will surely know who the author is. Name the author and the title of the book, if you think you know it.
    2. More important for me, give your opinion if you think the sentence is too long, or if you think the reader would/would not care about the length, or any other thought that you may have.

"The Yankees had burned Clanton in 1863, the bastards, and after the war, General Clanton, a Confederate hero whose family owned the county, returned, with only one leg, the other one lost somewhere on the battlefield at Shiloh, and designed the new courthouse and the streets around it."

I count 48 words.

Reference: Page 353 of the paperback version.

Note to Bob Kellogg: This sentence had a fairly short sentence before (8 words) and after (11 words) it. I have always believed in balance too.

Donald Lowery

Re: Back to sentences

The word x'd out begins with the letter b and is plural. This only to help those trying to identify the author.

Chiliad by Simon Otius, at unhappened [dot] com, is almost wholly written in long and very notable sentences. Here is the opening sentence:

"To avoid giving the impression, most particularly here at the very gatehouse of this, for the most part, linear narrating of what is believed a remarkable enough history, one that may, making its slow but inexorable way to credit, challenge the very tenets of traditional biography, that words, generally believed good-fellows, merry men nearly all, are already right eager, by building a labyrinth of intricable mystery, to confound the unwary reader at the very onset : it will prove very useful if a few, simple, but important facts, concerning the family Troke, and their seat, are first supplied."

A reminder to all the newcomers to the forum: check the date of the last post before submitting a reply. This thread was dead and buried 12 years ago.

That said, I would have put that particular book back on the shelf as soon as I tried to read that sentence. I have no interest in trying to parse someone's tortured grammar.