HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Lisa

Writing Sample for a job interview

OK, I realize that this does not fit in this category, and I apologize. I am an admin. assist. to make ends meet and write on my own time. I have been asked to do a writing sample and bring to a job interview. It is for a Admin. Assist. position with a local tribe. Does anyone have any experience with this? What are they looking for? Any tips or suggestions? I was thinking of doing a page or so on customer service and combining a business/professional style with a little (emphasis on little) personality. I was also thinking of bringing a couple of pages from my policies and procedures manual that I am working on in my current job. I haven't found much luck on this subject on the internet. Any links would be great. I really want this job and want to make an excellent impression. Thank you in advance for your time and suggestions.

Lisa Watkins

Carmella

Re: Writing Sample for a job interview

Lisa, in my opinion, your interviewer will be looking for the kind of material relative to the new position. So in other words, you're on the right track in bringing in the kind of samples you mentioned. It works the same when for me as a freelancer; depending on the article or publication I'm querying, I emphasis certain experiences or send certain clips. (For example, I didn't include any of my family humor pieces when sending samples to the eductional publishers. Educational pub. don't care if I can write funny; they want to know if I can write for kids.)

I hope this helps. Best of luck in getting the job!

Carmella

Pat Cooper

I had to do this once. So I made up a small portfolio with excerpts from various manuals (as you suggested), corporate procedures, promotional brochurs, proposals, minutes of meetings and the like, and an organizational chart (don't forget this was some years ago when those were part of an office admin's job) staff training, etc.

Anyway, it worked for me.

patC

Lisa

Thanks for the input! I thought I was on the right track, just haven't been asked to do this before.

donna

I too was asked to bring a writing sample for an interview I have this coming Tuesday July 15. The position is a constituent liaison for a NYS Senator. I have samples of letters in support of constituents from my previous job of the same position at the local level, I feel they are important since they show my ability to advocate for the constituent. I was also thinking of using an academic paper that I wrote for class. I just graduated this past Feb. (I was a returning college student) and the paper is a response to a reading on proportional representation and its effects on government and the electorate. The paper is written in three parts, finding the author's point, isolating the author's ideas and then adding my own argument for or against (the author).

What does anyone think of bringing both the letters and the paper?