HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    stella

Re: $64,000 question and a zero dollar answer

I think I know that foster mother...(half kidding) Good luck with your manuscript. I wasn't planning a sequel either, but it happened.

Catherine McCallum

Good luck to you, too.

I know about that sequel thing. I'm working on one that follows another book I wrote. For me, it's the characters - some of them just get in your head and refuse to go away.

Cathy

nathan

Re: $64,000 question

Also in an earlier string, someone mentioned that there is a healthy western market in audio books. I once submitted a detective novel query to one of those folks and it turned out that his company published books on tape only after the printed version was out. I'm sure there are some who don't do it that way. Maybe you could find a place that sells the western books on tape that truckers buy. I don't know if regular book stores are their usual location or if truckers buy elsewhere. But if you find a publisher listed on several of them, I'd try it.

Sometimes I think the REAL need for creativity in writing is in trying to get published. I was thinking of trying a westrn when I finish my current book, so keep us posted. I'll be watching for your success.

Catherine McCallum

Yeah. I'm using the second book to tell other characters' stories. The hard part is getting the backstory in, and it's pretty important to what happens to theses guys. So I'm in rethinking mode right now- cleaning closets, and thinking about the story.
    Cathy

Catherine McCallum

Yeah. I'm using the second book to tell other characters' stories. The hard part is getting the backstory in, and it's pretty important to what happens to these guys. So I'm in rethinking mode right now- cleaning closets, and thinking about the story.
    Cathy

Ralph Van Doren

Re: $64,000 question and Stella

There are three regional publishers in the area where I live-Western Canada-that publish westerns and the like. They're all small but they are on the level, i.e. they pay an advance and royalties and so on. One is Prairie Fire, the second is F.P. Hendricks and the third is Lone Range Publishing. All three of them are listed in the small press section of the Writer's Market Guide for short story and Novel writers and they're also listed in the Canadian Writer's Guide. Hope this helps.

stella

Re: $64,000 question and Stella

Hey thanks for the heads up. I'll check them out!

stella

The thing I don't like about sequels is knowing how much to repeat, how much to flash back etc, without the book feeling like a rerun. I wanted each one to be a stand-alone - but following the story before, if you know what I mean. What I ended up doing was using different characters for the leads. By the time I got to the third book, the poor guy had been sitting on the bench for so long he was desperate to tell his story!