HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Catherine McCallum

Re: "...he retorted feelingly...."

I wonder if she was working to a deadline, and ran out of time. I know I have to go back later and reread, or I miss things like that, too. I am especially prone to reusing a word, and I only notice it when I've let the writing get cold.
    Cathy

Jen Nipps

Re: "...he retorted feelingly...." (RBSA)

"Kill the adverbs" ~ well, most of them anyway. I agree with that. We do tend to use adverbs a lot more than necessary. In my writing, I try to avoid them as much as possible. If I find myself wanting to use one, I go back and see why and if it could be improved by a stronger verb, different phrasing, etc.

~Jen

Mary M.

Everything that could be said about this issue has been said -- and superbly.

Yet, I must add that "feelingly" is not a user-friendly word to read and/or say. To my way of thinking and reading, when I have to interrupt the flow of words I'm reading to repeat a word (while frowning!), then the word needs to be replaced with a simpler word.

Wallace Cass

Thanks for the tip on adverbs, Jen. I went back to editing/rewriting my novel (ugh) and found a bunch of adverbs that just had to go.

Wallace

Jen Nipps

Re: "...he retorted feelingly...."

Yes, replaced or -- as in this case, I think -- deleted completely.

Adverbs are everywhere! Death to the adverbs!

OK, it's late, so maybe that excuses the "death to the adverbs" thing. Probably not, though. *s*

~Jen