HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Ele Thurman

Project Greenlight Contest

Some of you may snicker at this, but I've submitted a treatment to the Greenlight Contest for a beer commercial.
    I'm getting some nice comments and if I'm chosen as one of the top 25, I'll need to do shoot a mock commercial.

I've directed and produced things before and believe me it's very expensive. I'm hoping to have volunteers help out with the shoot and will promise that if I win and we film the actual commercial, I'll use them (a generous budget is part of the prize).

Because I don't have funds to get costumes, etc. I was thinking of something rather unusual. The commercial includes a few historical figures. Do you think it would be totally unacceptable to have signs on the actors telling who they represent?

This may sound absolutely insane but it is a creative way to avoid spending money on costumes, which I don't have at the moment. Besides, it's the actors that bring them to life!!

Ele

Jen Nipps

Re: Project Greenlight Contest

Check with your actors and see if they have anything that could be used for their costumes. You might be surprised.

Good luck.

~Jen

Carmella

I kinda like the sign idea - it's quirky! Good luck, my friend.

Carmella

Mary M.

I also think the sign idea is a good one. When there's no budget, there's always creativity!

In addition, if only faces and shoulders of actors will be visible, consider using masks and/or painted faces on lightweight cardboard, attached to a stick and held by the actors -- like the fancy masks European royalty wore during elaborate balls.

Patricia Cooper

I like Mary's idea.

Ele -- it seems that nowadays, anything goes when it comes to commercials.

Just let your imagination run amok -- and enjoy it. You are creative and imaginative -- Go for it.

And the greatest good fortune to you!

patC

Ele Thurman

Oh, you all have some wonderful ideas and I sincerely appreciate the thoughts and support. The difficulty here is that once they announce the top 25, there's only a week to film the mock commercial.

I do love a challenge but this one may push me to the very limits. The mask idea is terrific!!! I could probably find some pictures and enlarge them to mask size. We'll see how things go.

What's bugging me the most about the commercial project is that most of the people involved seemed to be very young. I'm a very youthful thinker, but just celebrated another birthday on Friday and 40 something is feeling a little old today. If it's meant to happen, I'm sure it will.

Thanks again to all who offered guidance to this middle aged woman.

Hugs,
    Ele

Mary M.

For Ele

Please, please, please don't include your age in the same sentence with anything about creative challenge.

The two are separate and delicious.

Enjoy the thrill!

Ele Thurman

Re: For Ele

Okay, Mary. I'll promise to do better in the future.

Ele

Laura

One more deletion

Loved the idea of a sign and even the mask. What about using only those things - stripped of everything but their titles! he-he. Beer Commercials are so irrevrent anyway!
    Good Luck!