HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: deadlocked

judy

deadlocked

Help me please!

I am almost at the end of my novel but suddenly realize that I cannot decide if I should make my main character a good person who became a bad person then a goo person again! So far he has been good but I gather that 'bad' characters make better novels. If he is a goody goody all through then it may be too boring even when bad things are happening around him. Is he a saint? One might ask. What do you think?

Thanks for you advice,

judy

Norman

Re: deadlocked

I don't think it's as simple as deciding if he is good then bad, then good again. A character, esp the protag has to grow, and at different points we need to see flaws, weaknesses, and strengths. While there is a certain romance to evil characters (Dracula, Hannibal Lecter, etc) it's very difficult to make them the centerpoint of your book without them becoming cartoon caricatures. By the same token, ****-white heroes make me yawn. Probably doesn't answer your question, but let me ask you one in turn. What is your character's main weakness? How does that affect his handling of the main conflict? What does he learn from this or how does he change (grow)? I think if you answer those questions, you will have the answer.

FWIW, interesting, diverse, and fully developed characters make better novels.

Thank you for posting something about writing. Finally. Like the sweet smell of a macanudo on a cool fall night.

Norman

M. Helene Keough

Save me, Norman

Darn it all. I hate my Websters dictionary. What is a macanudo? Whatever it is, you make it sound heady and delicious. If I were to ask for it, should I hold out my dessert plate and expect a second portion, or I should to be handed something on a stalk, like a scented flower?

Hel

Norman

Re: Save me, Norman

Actually it's a cigar brand. So be careful in what venue you ask for it.

Valerie Moreau

Ah Norman welcome back. As for your question Judy, the character should decided himself. As you are writing the story it will come out the way it should. If he remains a not so nice guy, fine, if he comes clean then that is fine too, as long as you are satisfied with the finished project. My best advice is to write it both ways and decide which way works better.

judy

Thanks so much Val, I do appreciate your advice.

judy

donray@writers.net

I noticed that if a charater is seemingly 'evil' it is more likely to keep the reader's attention. As humans, we are naturally attracted to the negative of things, but we always need a breather to refresh our souls. If YOU are satisfied with the outcome of your character, that is what matters.