HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Kathryn

First Person V's Third

I would really appreciate some adive or opinions on what would be the best way to go-first person or third? I absolutely love writing in the first person. Third person, I struggle with a bit. Is it true that as a novice writer I would be limiting my chances of success by writing in the first person?

Also for some reason when I do write in the third person, I prefer it from the hero's point of view. is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Whoever said writing was easy? everyone around me that has never worked at it, that's who. :-)

Kathryn :-)

Valerie Moreau

Re: First Person V's Third

I myself perfer to write in the first person, I feel really in touch with my lead character that way, however I have also learned that you have to be able to write things in the third to do either correctly. I write short stories and challenges and workshops in third person and have consequently improved my first person dialogue.

Abie Jones

Writing in the first person is a blast, and very freeing, but it's kind of a double edged sword. I've written a few shorts in the first, just for fun, but I prefer the third-because even if your main perspective is the hero, you can also sneak inside of other characters heads inbetween chapters-something you can't do with the first. The best example however of first person writing that I think I've ever seen is Laurell K. Hamilton. She manages to give the other charaters depth without shifting from the first person, protagonist at all.

Brian H

Interesting point of discussion.

My novel PB employes third person for the main story, yet in the subplot, the German Stuka pilot goes on a long ramble in the first person when telling his life story to his commanding officer. It seemed like the more expedient way to get the facts out.
    Does this sound like acceptable strategy?

Jenny Hilton

I write in the third person from multiple points of view. I feel in contact with each by writing from that perspective, they are ALL me in that sweet and dreadful moment. Also, I occasionally write in first person for short thrillers with the "who done it" theme.

My advise is write what believe, what you FEEL in your soul.

There is truth in that! Don't force a point of view you can't get behind because the reader will feel the writer's emotional absence. Go with the GUT go with your instincts!!! Some of the best writing is delivered this way.

Happy writing,

Jenny

Jane Casey

In a 150,000 word first person present tense story, the dialogue is heavy with a variety of characters of different professions, ages and oh so many different opinions in heated debates about the main topic and life in general.

If your workd has potential for the big screen, exclude most inner monologue. Different points of view can be shown by different reactions of the characters too.

Jane