HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    Patricia Cooper

RE: Chapter headings and partitioning

I really need some input for this one.

1. My current WIP has about 30 chapters
    2. They are all varying lengths; some are very short but some are very long.
    3. All the chapters have a title (and please don't ask me to change this because it really is significant to the progression of the storyline.)

Now my question for the experts please is:

Some of the looooong chapters have to be chopped up into three or four sections. That is not the difficult part. The difficult part is how to head them. F'rinstance chapter 14 is headed "That bang was a bomb and there are two dead men in the field." I want to divide this up into four sub-chapters. Do I just head them 1,2,3, and 4 (as in parts)?
    Bearing in mind too, that there are some chapters that don't have parts -- they are short enough already.

I have been making use of the space, space *** space, space, thing too for moving the story forward, etc. within chapters.

I hope that you can follow these ramblings -- it is the wee small hours and I can't sleep.

Thanks,
    patC

Valerie Moreau

Pat, it may just be me but I feel you are making it more complicated then it is. If you need to break up the chapter but don't want to do it as chapters then maybe roman numerals. Though I think I would personally break up the chapters but that is just my humble opinion. You just want to make sure you don't confuse the reader to much.

Jane Casey

Pat,

I'm back for a bit. On your heading, "The bang was a bomb and two dead are in the field. If I'm understanding this is a chapter title. If so, I think it should be cut to
    The Bang Was a Bomb.

How long are your loooong chapters in double spaced pages?

Jane

Patricia Cooper

Jane:

Good thought Jane, though I think I will make it That Bang Was a Bomb.

My looooong chapters run to between 25 and 40 ds pages.

BTW thanks for your long and inspirational e-mail. I will reply tomorrow inbetween packing.

oatC

Jane Casey

Pat,

I don't feel 25 to 40 ds pages is too long. A professional editor advised me to structure my book to about that length. When you and I are writing nonfiction, it takes about that much to have a biginning, middle and end in each chapter. I asked another editor if my second chapter was too long at 39 ds pages. She said, "NOt if it's written well."

Time will soon tell. Personally, I hate a bunch of short chapters that keep me on edge instead of relaxing and enjoying the story.

Jane

Jenny Hilton

When I read other books sectioned...it's sections...i 2..3 or roman numerals depicting the same.

etc...till the new chapter. I feel this is fine and is used universally.

Don't get too bogged down in these nitty gritty’s that publishes will decided in the end.

good luck

Jenny