HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sheena

what did you do?

when you were kids, did you ever get picked on because you acted like you were older, and just not like the other kids? if so, did you outsmart them or did you take it out like barbarians?
    sheena

Bly Oxford

Re: what did you do?

Outsmart them! Grow a thick hide and let your brain expand to its fullest potential. The others will someday get the message, if they don't,what will it profit a Sheena to be a barbarian.
    Bly

Jane Casey

Sheena,
    Listen to Bly, he's giving you good advice. If you can nicely laugh at them, it will serve you well. There's no need to put them down, for they will do it themselves. You find a way to use clever wit that hurts no one and build you up.

Jane

sheena

well, i guess outsmarting them is a free ride...
    thanks for your help.
    sheena

Valerie Moreau

always use brain power instead of brawn. In the end it will show who is the more intellegent and braver person. No one ever gets anywhere using might to enforce their will. It might make people afraid of you but doesn't earn their respect. At your age those that pick on you are more then likely jealous of you. Maybe you can win them over by picking the least offensive of the lot and introducing her or him to some of your writing. They make think that is cool, and become a friend instead of an enemy.

Norman

Oh, just beat the crap out of them. They'll think twice about picking on you next time. Save your brain power for more important things. If you're expelled, use the time to write.

Rich

I always got picked on when I was a kid, and I was too small to kick butt. People like Don Ray used to pound on me mercilessly. They are very easy to outsmart, though. Now, most of them are in prison (Maricopa County) and I'm a successful writer with a beautiful and loving family.

My advice: find a sport you're tolerably good at and join the team. It's a great physical outlet.

Nicky Blade

I was tormented in high school...so, I dropped out, got my GED, and went to a local community college where I graduated with honors. (I don't mean to brag...but seeing as how I only completed 10th grade, scored a 270 out of 300 on the GED, and then recieved my associates degree with a GPA of 3.78, I guess I'm kind of proud) No one thought I could do it, but I did. And now, I love my life. No regrets! I bump into those old bullies from school once in a while and all they can say to me is "Would you like fries with that?" By the way, I'm married with two kids...My husband is ten years older than me. I think some of us just mature faster than others. I'm guessing that most young people who act older than their years are like me and have/had older friends. Stick with them... they'll be all the comfort a person needs when things are rough in the other areas of life. true friendships last a lifetime.

Hope this helps
    Nicky

ps
    You could get pretty creative by using those bullies in a story and have some aweful things happen to them! That's my personal inspiration (he he he)

Mary M.

I tend to agree with Valerie; they're envious of your capacity to do your own thing. Keep in mind, though, that they really don't know how to respond to you.

I've been there!

Trust your instincts. Respond to your creative energy. And, trust me, eventually "they" will want to walk beside you.

M. Helene Keough

Bullies shower us with unwanted attention because we serve as an uncomfortable reminder of their certain limited capacity. You ARE the smart one, Sheena. Outsmarting them is a moot point. But consider this: at the other end of this juvenile form of torment, you should find yourself fitted with an amazingly resiliant skin. You might even learn to pity that poor bully when you realise that nothing is going to pump up their IQ. Nothing will turn them into your equal. I do not see you as a barbarian. May I suggest that you pity the bully a little, if you can find it in your heart to do that. Communicate with them, if it serves you. OtThen put them aside, and ignore them. Their pranks are beneath you, so don't react. Take care, and allow yourself to shine.
    Helene