HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: -as if to-

Roy Johnson

-as if to-

In 60,000 words I use the transitory phrase "as if to" twice.

For example: Joe Character crossed his legs "as if to" appear relaxed.

Part of me feels like it's a padding or lazy way to link fragments. I've looked in my references (including the Strunk & White book) for a mention of "as if to" but nobody says nada.

Does anyone have any input on the grouping of these three words? Good? Bad? Lazy? Who cares, ect?

thank you,
    -RJ

Benjamin X. Wretlind

Re: -as if to-

I was actually thinking about this earlier today and just did a quick check of the 113,000+ words I've recently written. I found two instances of "as if to".

Since it's only two instances (for you as well), if you're uncomfortable with it, just rewrite the two sentences. I can't see that it would be a problem unless you used it twice in every chapter.

My thoughts, anyway.

Benjamin X. Wretlind

Bly Oxford

A friend, an English teacher with a string of degrees once chided me because I used "as if." She said "as though" is much better in formal writing. I agree that "as though" reads better, but 90% of people in real conversation use "as if." Other than the formal or common use question, I can find nothing lazy nor does it show any degree of padding if "as if" is used often. The phrase is simple, understandable, and very convenient. To try to circumvent its useage in all instances would probably make sentences awkward.
    Bly

silver owl

i think i used it WAY too much!!!!! i'm gonna go check at school today... then i'll tell you so you can laugh at my continuality. (is that even a word?)
    sheena

Roy Johnson

The input is always appreciated. Thank you.

I'm on my fourth rewrite of this piece and have lost recognition of my own voice. I will let it breathe a bit.

Thanks again,
    -RJ

Roy Johnson

Continuality? Didn't he win the Preakness last year?

Chris

I hate it when I find 'as if' and 'it seemed like' in my work. I don't know why, but even when it is appropriate, I hate it.

silver owl

no, i think it was spelled different... :P

Cathie Sparks

If there is enough pages between the phrase, then there should not be a problem. Is it your lead in for climax? What I mean is, it can be used to set the mood, gosh, I can not think this morning. Is it used as the hook? The best advise I can give you is to read chapter seven-Tightening and Lengthening- In the book-THE WRITER'S HANDBOOK FOR EDITING & REVISION BY RICK WILBER. My long response is a perfect example of what not to do...to many words used. Keep it simple and avoid cliches, which have a way of not only confusing the reader, but killing the story. Which is what I have done on purpose to prove my point.

Roy Johnson

OK
    thank you then,
    -RJ