HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
    John Preston

Sentence Structure

I read often... and I have begun to notice that some writers have some horrendous sentence structure, but they strangly gain awards. I have also noticed that some writers use simple descriptions, instead of massive descriptions which take up half the page...

Does it really matter how good or bad your sentence structure, and your descriptions are?

Sam Stinson

Re: Sentence Structure

YES it does, you really don't need perfect structure if you can convey your thoughts in a way that readers can easily grasp. And thats all I can say on that.You'll know !!!

Mark Blanchard

Sentences are like music. There's a world of difference between a Bach Fugue and a Puff Daddy rap, but they each have their appeal. All a sentence has to do is zing, it doesn't matter how it gets there.

That said, good spelling and punctuation never hurts. Even rappers have to know an A flat from a C sharp. (Well, okay they probably don't, but their sheet music publishers do. All Puff Daddy has to know is the difference between a 9mm and a .40 S&W.)

Mark

Sam Stinson

Puff Daddy!!!!!
    He rides the wings of others,which is not a bad thing because in any business you should emulate success.But you should be as innovative as you can.I admire originality in all its forms. That can be the difference in doing what someone else has already done-INNOVATION!!!

Cathie Sparks

Let us talk country. Keep it simple, real, and to the point. And a few tears along the way help.

Sam Stinson

Country is good, I really like "My next 30 years"!

J. Casey

Why we may start a party, I like everything for Texdas Swing to Country RockaBilly

But I have a question: If someone is singing a song in you story can you put in a line or too? Where can you find the legalities on songs?

Sam Stinson

I'm not sure about the legalities,but I've read stories that have referred to songs playing on the radio or something and they would say the artists' name,song title and even a line or two from the song. So it must be allowed to some degree.

Todd Glasscock

What are some examples of ungainly sentence structure?