HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dan Peters

homeless in America

Can someone help me? I am a 23 year old suriver of the homless youth culture in America. After sending almost 2 years growing up on the streets of Los Angeles, i finaly got my life togther. I wrote a true story about the way the homeless youth America deals with the things that is rarely even thought about in an average persons day. The book is very grafic and real in content. I talk about rape, drug abuse, and voilence in great detail. I belive since i am a rare survior of this lifstyle, i feel a great need to show the world that somtimes the biggest crimes is what we do to our own childern.

sheena bandy

Re: homeless in America

i can help. just tell me what you want me to do.

Sam Stinson

Dan,
    In 1991 I wrote an article for THE GEORGIA SENTINEL BULLETIN newspaper on homelessness. I spent 5(LONG) months on the streets of Atlanta. So in a way I can understand the experience.I saw things that the average person just wouldn't believe. People get preyed upon, and the streets can sometimes be ruthless and unkind to those who end up out there. I'm glad you made it out,some don't.....!
    SAM

Dan Peters

Dear Sheena,
    They way i need the most help is in my lack of writings skills. To me, it is very hard to grab the detail in my head and place it on paper, (because my lack of education). Also, i dont have a great wealth of money to hire someone to help me out. I dont want to candy coat this book in anyway. I think if i can make it as detailed and as grafic as the real moment, people might understand the lifestyle a little better. yet at the same time,i dont want to do the people in the book a great injustice by having them (as people) overly judged. As the childeren in the book (ages 11-19) are very real, and some are still alive, i also dont want to offened them in anyway. If this book is published, as i hope, i dont plan to profit from it. Since i think this is a great gift to the world, i plan to give the money to programs that will help kids find a world outside the streets.

Dan Peters

Dear Sam,
    I would love to read your article. Is there anyway i can get a copy? Im glad people do take an intrest in this subject. I think us as Americans, have for to long made it alright to look the other way. If more people took a intrest in this problem, we could start to give the word "community" alittle more justice.

Sam Stinson

Dan,
    I,m not sure if I can readily find a copy of that article, I'll ask some of my family that I remember giving copies of the paper to,and seewhat happens and I'll see if I can dig up that edition of the paper thru one of the newspaper archives.If you have access to a large public library, check their microfiche or microfilms for THE GEORGIA SENTINEL BULLETIN(NOV.1991).Before I wrote the story I talked to the directors of the HOMELESS TASKFORCE ,the pastors of a couple of churhes that fed and clothed the homeless, and the head counselor at a facility that helped provide job assistance for the homeless. theres a lot of mental factors involved in this too. Depression, anger, fear, low self-esteem,alcohol and drugs,even family neglect. theres a lot to take into account for each particular situation. so tell it like it is and you will have a graphic and great story. If I can help you , I will.

silver_owl

sam, it's all your's bud! if you need help with anything, just ask! ^_^
    sheena

J. Casey

Congratulations Dan for making it out of the jungles of the streets and congrats to this super gang for offering help.

I'm also writting about runaways covering 30 years and my family's successful lawsuit against Health and Social Services and Child Protection. There are many things to think seriously about. For instance, what names to use and what can and can't be said. Plus the horror is so mind-boggling, even writting the story concise doesn't seem to shorten it. Too often when people are in the midst of Child Protection's demagoguery, they don't realize all of the laws Child Protection is breaking, how they exploit teens, dehumanize and desensetize youth and destroy families.

Dan and Sam, if you want any of my input, please contact me at
    jcasey@ptialaska.net.

Dan there's a possibility I could help you structure your book then help you write it. This is a national problem that needs to be resolved quickly, but it won't be until more stories are told like ours and facts reach the public.

The best to all of you.
    Jane

Steven Brooks

I recently completed a fiction story relating to homelessness. I plan to have it published this summer. I can try to help you with, if nothing else, the process of getting your thoughts down on paper. If you would like my help , Let me know.

Cathie Sparks

Dan,
    You have the opportunity to be a role model for others. There is hope after life on the dark side. How did you change your life around? Who helped you? Society knows there is a problem. When they read your story, or see it on the screen, keep in mind that they are there to be entertained. I know that that sounds cold, and it is, but it is true. You do not have to have all the answers. From what you have told us so far, everything was so horrible, so down, with no possibility of hope, would you want to see someone else in the same situation? It can happen to anyone, and that is another hurdle that you must face with such a hot topic. Also, you can loose all that you have gained; piece of mind, and confidence, if you are to close to the topic. I admire you for wanting to educate society, for being a survivor, and for speaking out, but be extremely careful . You can drown in sorrow. Remember your audience, know yourself, and take care.

Do you want to just tell your story? Do you want to tell the story of others on the street who have survived? Do you want to tell the story of those who are still on the street? Or those who did not make it?
    What can others do to help those still in need?

I hope that I have helped you. The best advice I can give you is to just write. Tell your story, with your own voice. All the questions I asked , were meant to give you direction in your story, if you needed it. You do not have to give me the answers.