HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Rosemary Johnson

IT FOR CREATIVE WRITERS

I am a creative writer, novelist by preference, but I do write short stories as well and I have had quite a lot of stuff published on the Net. By day, however, I earn my crust by teaching IT and I have been asked, by my local adult education college, to submit a proposal for a course on "IT for Creative Writers".

Any ideas please on what I should include?

Also, does anyone know of a qualification in IT for Creative Writing? I know it sounds daft but a qualification would allow my college to get funding for the Learning Skills Council - and make it more likely that it would run.

Thanks in advance.

Rosemary Johnson

C. Van Vleet

Re: IT FOR CREATIVE WRITERS

Ok Rosemary,
    I'm about to do something I don't like to do - look stupid. What is "IT?"
    I have taught creative writing for eight years and have written dozens of class proposals - I'd be willing to help in any way I can. There was a great article on teaching writing courses in the March 2001 Writer's Digest, start there and then email me directly if you'd like.
    Carmella

Bly Oxford

Thsnk you Rosemary.
    I hoped that someone would ask what IT is before I had to advertise my ignorance.

Bly

Bly Oxford

OOPS! Carmella asked the question, but Rosemary please post your reply. I'm still ignorant.
    Bly

Kanani Fong

Yes, acronyms are always a problem, especially when writing for an international audience. Please clarify the mystery of IT.
    Thanks so much, and congratulations for being asked to teach a course.
    Best,
    Kanani

Stewart Knight

I thought everybody knew what information technology and its acronym was, lol.

Bly Oxford

Shucks, Stewart, that's no fun. I thought we might get an explanation akin to our former president's attempt to explain what IS is. LOL

Stewart Knight

<<Shucks, Stewart, that's no fun. I thought we might get an explanation akin to our former president's attempt to explain what IS is. LOL>>

But Bly, is it or isn't is it? lol

Bly Oxford

It beats me. I see so much BS maybe I don't use my CS to see it when it is IT.
    Bly

mark blanchard

In response to the original question, I hate to say it but I don't conceive of there being too much IT in a creative writer's world. How to spell check and format a Word.doc? (I guess that's one aspect). How to zip a large file for transmission or save it to disk to stick in the mail? (There's another.) How to prepare your manuscript for POD printing? (That's a third.)

Our field remains (at least on the creative side) stubbornly low tech and I don't see very much beyond basic word processing techniques that strays into the IT world. But I could be wrong. Maybe I don't understand what the word IT encompasses these days.

Mark