HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Eric Gilmartin

Re: International dialogue

Stewart, you may not realize this, but there are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of Anglophiles who live in the United States, and many more elsewhere. We read books, see movies, buy recorded music from the U.K. and Ireland *because* they originate from those places, not despite that fact - hopefully, we buy the best of what's made available, quality still matters most, not national origin - but I'd say, don't try to 'water down' your books for a non-U.K. audience; you'll be sapping part of what makes them authentic to their point of origin - yourself, and the land that made you. I was born in California and live in Texas, and if I thought I had to warp my stuff into a different idiom to please every foreign audience, I'd spend my whole life rewriting one book, over and over again...oh, God, wait, I do that anyhow! *L* Just respect your work in its original form, is what I'm saying. I can't speak for other people, but I prefer to read stories that take me out of my own, everyday world, into somebody else's. If your English protagonist started saying "Howdy, y'all," that would remind me of my silly-git neighbors...see, I'm in the States, and I know what that expression means! Others will, as well.

Victoria Strauss

Re: International dialogue

Stewart,

You're putting the cart before the horse. Even if you sell in the UK, you may never sell rights in other countries--in which case the point is moot. If you do sell in foreign markets, questions of idiom and slang will be addressed at that point (as they were in the Harry Potter books, which have been Americanized for US audiences). Or not (Jake Arnott's THE LONG FIRM was not Americanized for its US publication--a good decision on the part of the publisher, as the book would have been ruined by such changes). Authors already have enough to worry about--don't worry about this.

- Victoria
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Victoria Strauss
    THE GARDEN OF THE STONE (HarperCollins Eos)
    Homepage: http://www.victoriastrauss.com

Writer Beware: http://www.sfwa.org/beware

mark blanchard

Re: Anglo Scottish WW2 dialogue

For a bunch of authentic Anglo Scottish WW2 dialogue and terms, I can think of no better place to look than George McDonald Fraser four books on the subject. McAuslan in the Rough, The Sheikh and the Dustbin, The General Danced at Dawn (All Humorous tales) and Quartered Safe Out Here (A chilling memoir). Sometimes the accents he transcribes are so thick they are unintelligible, but he provides a convenient glossary in each book which explains most of his Brit and Scot speak. Good luck