HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Brian Kure

Characters Tell the Ending?

Structure is incredibly important, obviously. I'm wondering how many writers leave the ending up to their characters? When we REALLY get to know the characters we've created, do we dare let them lead us to the ending? If so, how many woderful endings have changed because our own characters wouldn't allow it? -bk

silver_wolf

Re: Characters Tell the Ending?

my_spacebar_isnt_working_so_i_have_to_do_this._any hoo,_my_people_are_going_to_make_the_story_for_me.

MAC

Anytime I've used an outline, planned an ending, it's been changed by the hard headed stubborn characters of mine. Not dramatically, mind you, but the outline ceases to apply after chapter two. Character development is the best part, until you know the characters, how can you decide their fate?

Roger Duval

Brian,

Even as I draw near to completion of my first novel I can tell that the subject you touched on will become a favorite topic of mine. It has been amazing to watch character development take over the direction and flow of my story. It has been so dramatic in fact that I am wondering how much we really need to plan ahead when writing. Interesting situations combined with loveable/hateable characters will produce good writing. It was not until I freed myself from the constraints of where *I* wanted to go that my book really took off.

Now I understand that that sounds schizophrenic to a non-writer. I believe you truly have to experience this to know the difference between characters and author. This is great, we can explore the depths of human depravity in our minds as well as the heights of love. All through these names, and faces that animate our novels.

Others comments?

Roger

Marianne Keesee

From what I have learned in my studies, the author needs to exert some control over the characters to prevent digression and and losing control of the story. I believe it is a fine line we walk with our characters and a good writer knows when to pull in the reins.It seems possible that a well drawn character may come up with a better ending than we do and we should be flexible.

Roger Duval

Marianne,

Well said!

silver owl

hey, my spacebar is working again, so i can say what i wanted to. i wanted to say that my characters are writing the end with me.
    the characters of the story circle around the outcome, it isnt always good vs. evil, or good guy wins. sometimes, it's a person against themselves or the evil wins. that's how my story is, a person against herself.

Marburg

I generally start out with an outline. As I write, the outline is modified. My characters play a large role in how the ending comes out. When I find them running away with the story I will review what I have written, where the story appears to be headed and how it compares to the original outline. Sometimes I find the original is still the best. Other times I've changed the outline to fit the story. I usually wind up with some combination of the two.

Marburg

Benjamin X. Wretlind

Like the other posters, I start with an outline. However, I also include character sketches and brief biographies at the top of the outline or scribbled in between the lines. The characters, once developed, will take over a story and it is up to the author to decided when to stop one of them, pull them to the side and ask "What are you doing?"

There have been numerous times in the development of my first novel that characters have spoken of things that made no sense to the outcome of the story. It was like they were attempting to gain access to center stage rather that play into the plot. The hardest part was to "counsel" them about their roles and responsibilities as characters. They are not there to tell their life story; there are there to live the story I want them to live.

That being said, I have to admit that the characters told me the ending of the story. Although it didn't differ that much from my idea for the ending, their actions throughout the first 300 pages made it obvious that an alternate ending was coming to fruition.

Benjamin X. Wretlind

Stewart Knight

I don't think there's a hard and fast rule here, but I do think the characters must in some way resolve the ending.

The characters in my novel are all tough and know where 'they' want to go, and that was only really decided after the characters were fleshed out, even though I knew where I wanted them to go. One character 'could' have been a pivotal character, but the others killed him halfway through, lol.

I think until you've fleshed out your characters, then the ending becomes clear, so really they do tell you. Besides, how can a creative undertaking like a novel be anything but fluid?

Regards
    Stewart