HomeWritersLiterary AgentsEditorsPublishersResourcesDiscussion
Forum Login | Join the discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: writers block

joyce davidowicz

writers block

starting the second chapter of my novel. all of a sudden, i have writers block. any advice good or bad would be helpful/

Laura A. Mackay

Re: writers block

Joyce,
    First, give yourself a little break. Sometimes writers block is a way our brains tell us we are tired. Try re-reading the first chapter and see how it hits you. Envision where you want the characters and story to go from beginning to end.
    I hope this has helped.
    Regards,
    L.A.Mackay

joyce davidowicz

thank you,Laura. it has helped.

sheena bandy

right on, laura!

Stewart Knight

I disagree with laura.

Write whether it is rubbish or not and get the thread back. If it turns out well, or if it edits well, great, but if you don't do anything you might lose the original thrust from the first chapter.

You could also try playing with an outline and 'see' where the next chapter is going to go, or play with where you want it o go, and the next, and the next....

Regards
    Stewart

Chris

I need to write all the time, even if it's nothing to do with my book/stories etc. Ideas always crop up when I least expect them, whether it's from diary entries, letters to friends, making up silly stuff...
    Sometimes I write for my own therapy, and it's amazing what kind of stuff emerges from the twisted world inside your head. Also, the ideas are better if I'm not trying to make it sound good for the ms. The words just spill out, and they seem far purer without the burden of writing for purpose. The grammar and layout can be corrected later, but I daresay I never get the block.

sheena bandy

all good ideas

Marburg

I agree with Laura. That's exactly what I do when writers block hits. I put it aside for a few days. Sometimes I work on something else. After a few days I go back and read the material. I'm usually surprised at the number of ideas that pop up.

Travis Williams

I think any of the suggestions here could be helpful. Different things work for each of us and the one that I personally use is picking up my guitar for a while and trying to think of a song that goes with the mood I'm writing. If you play music, give that one a try sometime. It sounds silly but it works.

Roger Duval

This might seem like an unconventional way to handle writer's block, but it works for me so here goes. I will take my laptop to bed and write ANYTHING for a while. (The same could be done with paper/tape recorder etc.) Even if it's bad I write it. Then when I am ready for sleep I lay there and let my characters dance around in my brain. I put myself into their shoes and just watch what they would do in their given situation. Some of my best ideas have come from this. If it is dyn-O-mite--The Jimmy JJ Walker caliber--then I will write it down, but I have found that most good ideas that come at night help me to sleep well and they are still there in the morning.

If this can help you get past your block, then the story usually gets back on track and you eventually hit a mother-load vein again and all is well.

Roger